Fees and Charges

Related Pages:
Off-Campus, January Program, Miscellaneous Charges  |  PaymentRefunds
Off-Campus Study Charges
Two types of off-campus study programs are available at Colby: approved non-Colby off-campus study and Colby off-campus programs. Students who are engaged in approved non-Colby off-campus foreign or domestic study programs pay all fees directly to the host institution. For Colby programs abroad and domestic exchanges, a comprehensive fee including tuition, room, board, and travel applies. Financial aid is available to students enrolled in the approved off-campus programs as well as to those enrolled in Colby abroad programs. All Colby abroad programs require a $500 attendance deposit. Semester fees for the 2009-2010 Colby-billed off-campus programs are as follows:
Semester Charges
Colby in Dijon $25,160
Colby in St. Petersburg $25,160
Colby in Salamanca $25,160
Colby in Washington $17,440

Students who expect to transfer credits for full-time study in a non-Colby program will be subject to a fee of $1,000 per semester. This fee will be charged on the Colby tuition bill.

Information regarding application deadlines and other program details may be obtained from the Off-Campus Study Office.

January Program
A January Program that requires extensive travel, special materials, or highly specialized outside instruction carries a fee calculated to reflect the costs of the individual program. 

Students who are not enrolled on campus for either the fall or spring semester will be charged a fee of $4,260 for tuition only for participating in the January Program. If on-campus housing is provided, an additional charge will be assessed.

Miscellaneous Charges
Applied Music: A student receiving musical instruction in the applied music program during any semester is charged a fee of $525 per semester for one hour of instruction per week (or $262.50 per semester for half-hour lessons). Music majors are eligible for subsidized instruction; refer to Music in the Departments, Programs, and Courses of Study section. 

Medications: A student will be charged for the cost of prescription and non-prescription medicines prescribed by the health services staff.

Fines: Fines are charged for failure to register automobiles, parking violations, late return of library books, checks returned as uncollectible, and disciplinary actions.

Damage to or Loss of College Property: Liability for damage or loss of College property located within individual residence hall rooms lies with the resident(s) of the room. When damage or loss of College property occurs in residence hall common areas (e.g., lounges, hallways, lobbies, bathrooms), the Office of Residential Life will make every effort to identify the individuals responsible and to bill them. In cases in which residential life staff determines that responsibility lies with the residents of a specific section of a residence hall, those students will be billed. When the individuals responsible for damage or loss of College property cannot be identified, the cost of repair or replacement is accumulated by the residence hall. At the end of each semester, Residential Life, in cooperation with the Physical Plant Department, determines the cost of all unidentified damage and loss of College property and bills the residents of each residence hall on a pro rata basis. Any conflicts regarding assignment of responsibility may be directed to the Judicial Board.