- Why Colby?
- Request Information
- College Profile
- Scholars Programs
- Student Perspectives
- Alumni Success
- For Counselors
- Contact Admissions
Browse Catalogue by
Named Faculty Chairs 2012-2013
Named Chairs, Their Donors, and Current Chairholders 2012-2013The Allen Family Chair in Latin American Literature (1993) by Leon and Karen Allen P ’86. Jorge Olivares, Spanish.
The Leslie Brainerd Arey Chair in Biosciences (1993) by Mary E. Arey in memory of her husband, Colby Class of 1912. W. Herbert Wilson Jr., biology.
The Francis F. Bartlett and Ruth K. Bartlett Professorship (2003) through a bequest from Francis F. Bartlett Jr. '56. Catherine L. Besteman, anthropology.
The Arnold Bernhard Professorship in Arts and Humanities (1997) by A. Van Hoven Bernhard ’57 in memory of his father. Hanna M. Roisman, classics.
The Carter Professorship in Mathematics and Computer Science (1985) by Clark H. Carter ’40, Colby trustee, and William C. Carter ’38 to recognize their family’s 85-year relationship with the College. Fernando Q. Gouvêa, mathematics.
The William R. Cotter Distinguished Teaching Professorship (2000) by members of the Colby community. Kenneth A. Rodman, government.
The Crawford Family Chair in Religion (1994) by James B. Crawford ’64, chair of the Colby Board of Trustees, and Linda Johnson Crawford ’64 in memory of Colby Professor Gustave H. Todrank. Nikky-Guninder Kaur Singh, religious studies.
The Charles A. Dana Professorship Fund (1966) by the Charles A. Dana Foundation of New York City. Jill P. Gordon, philosophy; Luis Millones, Spanish; Thomas J. Morrione, sociology; Adrianna Paliyenko, French; and Steven Saunders, music.
The Robert E. Diamond Professorship (1993) by Robert E. Diamond Jr. ’73, Colby trustee, in memory of his father. Jennifer A. Yoder, government and global studies.
The Dr. Gerald and Myra Dorros Chair in Life Sciences (1996) by Gerald and Myra Dorros P ’93, ’96, ’98, ’01. Julie T. Millard, chemistry.
The Douglas Chair in Investment and/or Finance (1994) by an anonymous alumnus. Randy A. Nelson, administrative science and economics.
The John J. and Cornelia V. Gibson Chair in History (1996) by John V. Gibson ’59 in honor of his parents. Elizabeth D. Leonard, history.
The James M. Gillespie Chair in Art and American Studies (1990) through a bequest from Professor Emeritus James M. Gillespie. Michael Marlais, art.
The Goldfarb Family Distinguished Professorship in American Government (1991) by William H. Goldfarb ’68, Colby trustee. G. Calvin Mackenzie, government.
The Grossman Professorship of Economics (1976) by Nissie Grossman ’32 in honor of his parents, Reuben and Lizzie Grossman. Patrice M. Franko, economics.
The Ellerton and Edith Jetté Professorship in Art (1993) through a bequest from Edith M. Jetté, M.A. ’62. Mrs. Jetté and her husband, Ellerton M. Jetté, LL.D. ’55, were longtime friends of the College and supporters of the Colby College Museum of Art. David L. Simon, art.
The Christian A. Johnson Distinguished Teaching Professorship (1990) by the Christian A. Johnson Endeavor Foundation. Robert S. Weisbrot, history.
The Christian A. Johnson Professorship for Integrative Liberal Learning (1998) by the Christian A. Johnson Endeavor Foundation to launch a pioneer program in liberal arts education. Margaret T. McFadden, American studies.
The Audrey Wade Hittinger Katz and Sheldon Toby Katz Professorship for Distinguished Teaching (1994) by Audrey Hittinger Katz ’57, Colby trustee, and Sheldon T. Katz. Raffael M. Scheck, history.
The William R. Kenan Jr. Professorship Fund (1979) by the William R. Kenan Jr. Charitable Trust. L. Sandy Maisel, government.
The Lee Family Chair in English (1993) by Robert S. Lee ’51, Colby trustee, and his wife, Jean. Cedric Gael Bryant, English.
The Clare Boothe Luce Professorships (1988) through a bequest from Clare Boothe Luce. Cathy D. Collins, biology, and Stephanie R. Taylor, computer science.
The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Professorship (1981) by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. Cheryl Townsend Gilkes, sociology and African-American studies.
The J. Warren Merrill Professorship in Chemistry and Natural History (1865) by J. Warren Merrill, Colby trustee. Andrea R. Tilden, biology.
The Dr. Frank and Theodora Miselis Chair in Chemistry (1991) by Frank J. ’43 and Theodora Miselis. D. Whitney King, chemistry.
The Mitchell Family Professorship in Economics (1993) by Edson V. Mitchell ’75, Colby trustee. Debra A. Barbezat, economics.
The Carolyn Muzzy Museum of Art Chair (1992) by Colby friend Carolyn Muzzy, who had been involved with the museum since its inception. Sharon L. Corwin, museum.
The NEH/Class of 1940 Distinguished Professorship in Humanities (1990) by the National Endowment for the Humanities and alumni from the Class of 1940. Laurie E. Osborne, English
The Oak Chair in Biological Sciences (1993) by the Oak Foundation, the family foundation of the parents of a Colby alumnus. F. Russell Cole, biology.
The Oak Chair in East Asian Language and Literature (2000) by the Oak Foundation, the family foundation of the parents of a Colby alumnus. Tamae K. Prindle, East Asian studies.
The Paul D. and Marilyn Paganucci Chair in Italian Language and Literature (2000) by Paul D. Paganucci, M.A. ’75, Colby trustee, and Marilyn Paganucci. Vacant.
The Clara C. Piper Professorship (1990) by Wilson C. Piper ’39, Colby trustee, and Mary Piper in memory of Wilson Piper’s mother, Clara Collins Piper, Class of 1914. Tilar J. Mazzeo, English.
The Pugh Family Professorship in Economics (1992) by Lawrence R. Pugh ’56, chair of the Colby Board of Trustees, and Jean Van Curan Pugh ’55. David W. Findlay, economics.
The Pulver Family Chair in Jewish Studies (1996) by David Pulver ’63, Colby trustee, and Carol Pulver. David Freidenreich, religious studies.
The Arthur Jeremiah Roberts Professorship of Literature (1928) by the Board of Trustees as an expression of their regard for the late President Roberts, Colby’s 13th president, who had taught English literature at Colby. Ira Sadoff, English.
The William A. Rogers Professorship in Physics (2000) by an anonymous donor. Charles Conover, physics.
The Sunrise Chair (2000) by anonymous parents of Colby alumni. Robert T. Bluhm Jr., physics.
The Julian D. Taylor Associate Professorship in Classics (1956) by a bequest from Professor Julian D. Taylor, who taught Latin and Greek at Colby from 1868 to 1931. Kerill N. O’Neill, classics.
The Herbert E. Wadsworth Professorship in Economics (1940) by Herbert E. Wadsworth, Class of 1892, Colby trustee. Vacant.
The Whipple-Coddington Chair in Geology (1994) by Jane Whipple Coddington ’55, Colby trustee, and F. Chandler Coddington Jr. Robert A. Gastaldo, geology.
The Harriet S. and George C. Wiswell Jr. Chair in American Constitutional Law (2000) by Harriet Sargent Wiswell ’48 and George C. Wiswell Jr. ’50 Joseph R. Reisert, government.
The Zacamy Chair in English (1993) by John R. Zacamy Jr. ’71, Colby trustee. Peter B. Harris, English.
The Ziskind Professorship of East Asian Studies (1963) by the Jacob Ziskind Trust. Kimberly A. Besio, East Asian studies.