Voltri Bolton II, 1962
Steel, 79 x 13 x 10 inches
Museum purchase from the Jere Abbott Acquisitions Fund, the Robert Cross Vergobbi '51 Museum Acquisitions Fund, the Alex Katz Foundation, and an Anonymous Donor
Highlights from the Permanent Collection
July 19, 2014 - July 15, 2015
COHEN GALLERY,THE ALFOND-LUNDER FAMILY PAVILION,LUNDER WING,OSHER GALLERY
This summer the Museum will re-install its permanent collection galleries, integrating works from the recently gifted Lunder Collection with the Museum's core holdings, including recent gifts from the Alex Katz Foundation, and select loans. Supported by the Henry Luce Foundation, this display will reflect the Museum's ongoing commitment to a deep representation of American art from the nineteenth century through the present.
Highlights will include David Smith's steel Voltri Bolton II (1962), Maya Lin's monumental marble sculpture Disappearing Bodies of Water (2013), a meter box by Donald Judd (1977), and Robert Mangold's 18 acrylic and pencil drawings (1991) given by the Alex Katz Foundation. Cherished cornerstones of the collection, such as Albert Bierstadt's View of Chimney Rock (1860) and Winslow Homer's The Trapper (1870) will be featured, as well as recently acquired works by Jacob Lawrence, Helen Torr, Frederic Edwin Church, William Matthew Prior, and Joshua Johnson.