The Fill Handle is very useful for copying the contents of a cell or extending a series of data. It is represented by a little blue square in the lower right corner of a selected cell.
To fill in a series of data:
- Enter the first part of your data set.
- For instance, “1, 2, 3″ or “Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday”
- Select the data you just entered.
- Place your cursor over the Fill Handle, your cursor will change to a black plus sign.
- Click-and-drag the Fill Handle to extend your data set.
You can use these same steps to copy the contents of a single cell over a range of cells.
As an alternative to clicking-and-dragging the Fill Handle you can double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will reference the contents of the column to the left and automatically fill in your data until it finds the first empty cell in the reference column.