Creating and Providing Youtube Content for Students
Uploading a video to YouTube is one of the most efficient and user-friendly ways to share a video with students. With a streamlined upload process and room for customization, YouTube creates a convenient method to provide video content.
Setting up a Youtube Account
- On your PC or Mac, go to youtube.com and click the blue “Sign In” button in the top right corner.
- Choose your account or click “Add account” if it is not already listed.
- Once this is complete, your YouTube account should be all set up and can continue to YouTube!
(Note: If you want to make a completely new account that isn’t linked to your Colby email, click the “Create account” button, and then enter your name, desired email address, desired password, and any other pertinent information.)
Uploading a file
- The first time you click the “Upload” button, also located in the top right corner, you will be asked to enter your name/name your channel. This is what students will see as the creator when watching one of your videos.
- Once on the Upload screen, you can either drag your files into the screen’s center, or click the “up arrow” to select files to upload.
- You can also select whether you want your video to public, unlisted, or private. Public means that your video can be watched by anyone, and can show up in general YouTube searches. Unlisted means that your video can only be watched by people with the link, and cannot show up in general YouTube searches. Anyone who has the link can also share it with anyone they want. Private means that no one except those that you specifically allow can view your video. With this option, you must use the YouTube sharing options to give each student access to view your video. See more on sharing your video below.
- The video will begin to process and upload. You can edit the video’s title and description. If you want your video public and to be easier to search, you can add tags that reflect the content of your video.
- Optional video thumbnails will appear. You can select which one you want to be displayed. You can also upload an image to be a custom thumbnail.
- Once your video has finished uploading and you have entered all necessary information, click publish to finalize the process.
- To access your video again, click on the three horizontal lines button in the top left. There will be an option for “My Channel”. Click this to be brought to a list of all of your videos.
- Alternatively you can click on your account image in the top right and then select “Creator Studio”. This will bring you to a page where you can customize and edit all of your videos.
Configuring settings after a video has already been uploaded
If you want to change/further modify your video after uploading it, you need to get to your video manager. You can do this either by clicking the previously mentioned “Creator Studio” button that appears when you click on your account image in the top right. Once in the Creator Studio, there is a menu on the left. Video Manager should be the second option on the list. Alternatively you can get to the video manager from your video. Under the video player on the right is a button labeled “Video Manager”.
- Once in the Video Manager, click the “edit” button directly to the right of the video’s thumbnail.
- You are now on a screen where you can edit your video’s title, description, and tags, along with changing the privacy settings and other options. You can also see information about your video on the right and access other settings such as “Translations” and “Advanced Settings” under the video thumbnail.
Authorizing a YouTube account to post longer videos
- When you first create your YouTube account, you can only upload videos that are a maximum of 15 minutes long. To increase the allowed length of videos, you must verify your account. To begin the verification process, first click the “Upload” button.
- On the Upload screen, there is a text box labeled “Help and Suggestions” underneath the area to upload files is. The first sentence in this box contains a link to “Increase your Limit”. Click this.
- You must verify your account using a phone. You can choose to receive a verification code through either a call or a text message. Select your preferred option and then enter your number.
- Once you have received your verification code on your phone, enter it in the provided area. Your account is now verified and you can submit longer videos!
Sharing a link
- Access your video from either of the previously described options.
- Below your video and just below your channel name are the options “Add to”, “Share”, and “More”. Click Share. You will be presented with a drop down menu that contains a link you can copy, along with a myriad of direct links to sites to share to.
- This drop down menu also contains 3 new options: “Share”, “Embed”, and “Email”. It should default to the “Share” screen, which is where the direct link is displayed.If you click “Embed”, you are presented with code that can be placed into a website to make the video display directly on the website instead of forcing students to go to YouTube.If you click “Email”, you can directly send the video through an email. Note that this will send through the email linked to the YouTube account. This is one of the best ways to share a video with students if you have your video listed as private.
- An alternative to these three methods is to simply copy the link at the top of the screen and paste it wherever you want. This option may not work with videos listed as private, but is the most efficient way to share if the video is listed as public or unlisted.