Moodle course format refers to the layout of a course. There are five course format options to choose from. Here’s a quick video about the new Tiles format.
- The Topics format organizes the courses into topic sections that an instructor can give titles to. Each topic section consists of activities, resources, and labels. This is the default course format at Colby.
- The Weekly format, the course is organized week by week, with each section having a date heading. Moodle will create a section for each week of your course. The current week is highlighted.
- The Social format is oriented around one main forum, the social forum, which appears listed on the main page. It is useful for situations that are more free form. You can choose how many forums to display on your course site.
- The Single Activity format only has 1 section and allows the instructor to add one activity only to the course. When the single activity format is selected, a drop-down menu appears for the instructor to choose the activity they wish to use.
- The Tiles Format displays course topics as “Tiles”, rather than as a list. When clicked, tile content is displayed under the tile with an animated transition. The layout adapts to different screen sizes and orientations. Within each tile, activities can also be set to display as “sub-tiles”. Icons for each tile can be selected from a predefined set.
Want to learn more?