- Why Colby?
- Request Information
- College Profile
- Student Perspectives
- Alumni Success
- For Counselors
- Contact Admissions
The Schair-Swenson-Watson Alumni Center received silver-level LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) in March 2006.
For new construction, projects earn credit toward LEED certification in five categories:
Schair-Swenson-Watson Alumni Center Initiatives
• Geothermal heating and cooling;
• Clapboards fabricated from mill ends;
• Wallboard made of recycled materials, including gypsum from industrial smokestacks;
• 64 percent of the project construction waste was diverted from landfill;
• An elevator hydraulic system that uses vegetable oil instead of petroleum;
• Toilet-stall partitions made using 30 percent post-industrial recycled plastic;
• Graywater from heating system used to flush toilets;
• Waterless urinals in men's rooms;
* Carpets made using 32 percent post-industrial recycled material;
* Electricity generated from wind power;
* 50 percent locally harvested materials.