What should I do...
- If I want to live with an underclassman or upperclassman?
The student in the higher class year should pick the room, regardless of the underclassman's lottery number.
- How are lottery numbers determined? Lottery numbers are randomly assigned based on class year. starting with the #1 and finishing with approximately 1,500. Each student that is planning to be on campus for the 2009-2010 academic year will receive a lottery number.
- If I am running for a position in the Student Government Association?
The results of SGA elections and hall staff applications will be announced prior to room draw. If you are elected to SGA, you will choose your room prior to the first Room Draw. Please make an appointment with Campus Life to do so by calling Ext 4280. In the meantime, start to think about who and where you want to live should you not be selected for the position.
- If I want to live in Alfond apartments or off-campus?
Decide which one is your first priority. You need to rank your decision on the online sign-up sheets. Results for the Alfond Apartments and Off-Campus Living will be announced at the same time. The order of the lottery numbers for both the Alfond Apartments and Off-Campus Living will be tiered according to your first and second choices. For example, if Off-Campus Living is your second choice, your group will be listed below all groups for whom Off-Campus Living was their first choice.
- If I want to live off-campus?
Each year, approximately 110 students are approved to live off campus. This housing selection process is based on a random lottery selection with priority given to seniors. We would advise students not to sign a lease or commit with any landlords until your request to live off-campus is granted. Please fill out the Special Housing Form and the off-campus application which includes a list of agreements carefully.
- If I need a list of apartments/houses available off-campus?
Finding an apartment is a student’s responsibility. The Office of Campus Life does NOT maintain a list of landlords in the area, nor does the College hold any agreements with houses and/or landlords in the area.
- If I am going away in fall 2009?
All students studying abroad in fall 2009 will be removed from the lottery system PRIOR to lottery numbers being assigned. Approval from COLBY COLLEGE, and not from individual study abroad programs, warrants removal from the lottery system. You may also want to start thinking about who you would like to live with in the Spring of 2010. An email will be sent to you towards the end of Spring with more instructions on what to expect.
- If I have applied to go away for the fall of 2009 or for the academic year of 2009-10 but I’m not sure if I have been approved to do so?
All students who have been approved by the Office of Off-Campus Studies for fall 2009 or the academic year of 2009-10 will be removed from the lottery system PRIOR to lottery numbers being assigned. Approval from COLBY COLLEGE, and not from individual study abroad programs, warrants removal from the lottery system. Students on the study abroad wait list for spring 2010 WILL receive a lottery number if OCS grants permission for the student to study abroad in spring 2010.
- If I am currently (Spring 2009) away?
Fill out the special form called “2009-2010 Proxy Form” at http://www.colby.edu/administration_cs/dos/housing/roomdraw/forms/returning.cfm
- If I have a balance due on my student account or a responsibility to Student Financial Services?
In order to participate in room draw all financial obligations to the College must be satisfied. You may check your student account and your miscellaneous fines balance from the Student Financial Services web page. You may call SFS at Ext. 4132 to see if you have any outstanding financial aid paperwork for the current academic year. The SFS web site is: http://www.colby.edu/sfs
- If I will not be here for Room Draw?
Please appoint a proxy to make your selection on the "Returning Student Housing Preference Form" at http://www.colby.edu/administration_cs/dos/housing/roomdraw/form/returning.cfm. Make sure your proxy pays attention when your name is announced and is aware of what room you hope to get.
- If I have more specific questions?
Call the Office of Campus Life at ext. 4280 or email email@example.com
For more information on Room Draw, click here