Photography at Colby

Event Assignments

Colby does not employ a college photographer. Therefore, we are not able to accommodate photo needs beyond those for publications produced by the Communications Office or for specific archival, documentary, and presentation purposes.


Student photographers or freelancers cover some lectures and news events, some athletic events, and prominent institutional events such as  Lovejoy, Homecoming, and Commencement.


A list of local freelancers is available. Anyone hiring student or freelance photographers will be responsible for every aspect of the shoot, including any film purchase/developing, scheduling, and follow-up with photographers. If shooting digitally for print publications, please make sure that your image size is roughly 5"x7" and at least 300 dpi (usually the "fine" setting on your camera). Anything smaller may produce pixelated images in printing.


To find out if a photographer from Communications is covering an event, e-mail or call ext. 4350.

14x10 GIF spacer image
Photo Research and Requests
Photographic images from our archives are available to faculty and staff for College purposes such as publicity, articles, presentations, and Web use. Please contact the Communications Office (, x4350) if you have a specific request for images.

Please allow at least two weeks for photo archive research.