Tax Information

Tax Exemption

Colby College is exempt from paying sales tax on tangible personal property or taxable services in the State of Maine.  If you are placing an order and it is to be delivered to the campus please download the MAINE TAX EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE and submit it to the vendor when the order is placed.

The Office of Administrative Financial Services maintains the Permanent Exemption Certificates for Colby.  Certificates should be presented at the time of purchase and should only be used for College related purchases.

Other Tax Exemption Certificates: (If you are traveling to any of the following states, please contact AFS for a copy of the certificate and you will be  exempt from paying sales tax).


When receiving tax exemption in the state of Connecticut, it must be approved by the Department of Revenue in advance. Please fill out this form and fax to: 1-860-297-4929. 

Colorado -Use the Maine Tax exempt form along with the Colorado FYI    



New York



Pennsylvania page 1 

Pennsylvania page 2

Rhode Island

 If you have any question, please contact the Office of Administrative Financial Services.

Scott Smith, Director 207.859.4123
Kelly Pinney-Michaud, Assistant Director 207.859.4125
Dawn Genest, Accounts Payable 207.859.4126
Cheryl Gould, Accounts Payable