Foreign Student Withholding Taxes

General Information

The College is required to charge withholding taxes on student grant money for international students from non-treaty countries. Typically the student account will be charged each semester, at which time the funds are sent on behalf of the student to the federal and state governments. Taxes are not charged on grants for study abroad. Taxes ARE charged on summer funding regardless of whether there is a treaty on academic year funding or not. SFS does not assess late fees on current tax amounts on the student account, and does not hold students from participating in room draw and course selection based on current tax amounts. Before requesting a transcript, the student account balance INCLUDING taxes must be below $1,000.

Amount of Withholding

Although this information is subject to change at any time, for the 15-16 academic year witholding taxes are charged as follows: 14% federal, 5% state.

Tax Refunds

If students have NOT already paid the taxes on their student account, they must do so at the time they receive their refunds in the spring, generally in April or May. Students may make payments electronically, by personal check, or in cash. SFS will NOT accept third party checks. If you choose to receive your tax refund from the government by check rather than direct deposit, you must deposit it to your bank account; do not bring it to SFS. Students may wish to have their refunds direct deposited into their bank accounts to avoid a trip to the bank.

Tax Adjustments

For the last several years, if a student's refund amount was smaller than the amount charged on the student account for that calendar year, SFS has been able to do a grant adjustment for the difference. We are hopeful this will continue going forward, but there are no guarantees. Students may request an adjustment from SFS only after they have filed taxes and paid an amount equivalent to their refund amount, as well as any non-tax related balance on their student account. Adjustments do NOT happen automatically; they must be requested before June 1st  to allow time for the adjustment to be done before the end of our fiscal year, June 30th. And yes, more taxes will be charged on any additional grant amounts.

Your Final Semester

ALL financial obligations to the College must be paid in full prior to graduation, including any 2016 taxes charged to your student account. We cannot provide any grant adjustments or assistance for taxes withheld the spring before graduation. Don't forget to file your tax returns next year if you're eligible for a refund.


Pay as you go! If you're able to pay your account in full over your 4 years, you'll be less likely to run into snags when you need transcripts, want to select courses, participate in room draw, study abroad, or ... graduate!

03/28/2016 3:41 PM