Student Insurance Questions

General Information

All full-time Colby students must have insurance coverage comparable to the plan offered through the Cross Agency or they must remain enrolled in the College-offered plan. Details about the required coverage can be found at the Cross Agency site. If the policy meets the required coverage, students can opt out of the insurance fee by completing the 2013-14 (link is not currently open) Online Health Insurance Registration Form. To access this form when available, students or parents must log in using the student's Colby login or Colby ID number and 6-digit date of birth. The form is available from May 15, 2013 until September 4, 2013.

The premium for the 2013-14 year has increased to $1,095.00 for coverage August 1, 2013 through July 31, 2014.  The premium for the spring-only coverage has increased to $745.00 for coverage January 1, 2014 to July 31, 2014.

Students choosing to remain enrolled in the plan offered are also required to complete the Registration Form to affirm their decision to continue with the coverage and avoid receiving reminders to "elect" insurance coverage. A very small number of students may be eligible for financial assistance if they elect coverage AND complete the online form.


Frequently asked questions:

If I waive the plan offered by the Cross Agency, may I use the health services on campus?

Medical care for most common illnesses or minor accidents is available in the Health Center whether or not a student chooses the Cross insurance plan or has their own comparable coverage. Physical therapy, alcohol and drug counseling, and psychological counseling are also available by appointment.

If I will not be enrolled at Colby or on a Colby-billed program for the fall but plan to return for the spring semester, do I need to complete the Health Insurance Registration Form?

You do not need to complete the form before the fall, August 1, 2013 deadline. You will need to complete the form before January 1, 2014 if you wish to waive enrollment in the Cross plan and not be billed the fee for coverage beginning January 1, 2014 to July 31, 2014.  If, however, you complete the Registration Form now certifying you will have coverage through July 31, 2014, you will not be asked to complete it a second time this fall.

If my health insurance coverage is through my parent's employer and that employment ceases, or my parent retires during the year, can I opt for the Plan at that time?

Yes, you may add the Commercial Travelers plan in such circumstances. You will be charged the entire annual fee. There is no prorated amount for in-semester enrollment.