Founded in 1813, Colby College is the 12th-oldest independent liberal arts college in the nation enrolling 1815 students who represent 46 states and more than 76 countries on a beautiful 713 acre campus in central Maine. Colby College is announcing that we are actively seeking applications and nominations for an:
ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR FOR DATACENTER OPERATIONS
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES – TECHNICAL SERVICES
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reporting to the Director of Technical Services, Information Technology Services. Provide overall management of the two campus datacenters: physical and virtual servers, shared-tiered storage array, virtual application and desktop infrastructure, file system mirroring between datacenters, database and file system backups, and integration with networking and accounting systems (Active Directory, DHCP, DNS).
- Supervise the server administrators and participate with them in on-going maintenance, response to system failures and overall reliability assurance.
- Ensure that the server environment is properly configured and operated to maintain the accessibility, reliability, resilience and security of each component of the wide array of systems running on the datacenters.
- Develop budget plans for annual maintenance contracts and datacenter hardware upgrades and work with ITS leadership in developing multi-year operating and capital budget planning for datacenter systems.
- Plan and implement system upgrades and maintenance to ensure continuity of operations, participating in the outage and change management process to plan and communicate activities and review outcomes.
- Coordinate server and application service architecture with the Director of Information Security, reviewing vulnerability and security event log data on a regular basis.
- Maintain close communication with all the other groups within ITS to anticipate and meet requirements for systems they operate in the datacenter environment.
- Continuously reconsider the support strategies and the degree to which they meet the needs of those receiving the services. Changes must be implemented to continuously improve the quality of the services.
- Participate in the College effort to value differences.
- Ensure attention to workplace safety issues.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor's degree (concentration in Computer Science or related field is highly desired).
- A demonstrated commitment to information system service excellence.
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to delegate responsibility.
- Experience supervising a talented technical staff.
- Experience with project management and planning in a datacenter environment.
- Extensive familiarity with both Windows and UNIX/Linux server operating systems.
- Experience with virtual machine and shared storage ("private cloud") environment (VMWare ESX experience is desired).
- Effective and patient oral communication skills in various contexts, with a commitment to team participation, information sharing and mutual support.
- Effective skill in written communication with people of all technical levels.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Experience with Microsoft Active Directory and LDAP authentication.
- Experience with data networking and the OSI reference model.
- Experience with integration between private and public cloud resources.
Interested candidates may apply electronically by clicking the "Apply Now" button below or please submit your letter of application, resume and the names and telephone numbers of three references to: