Founded in 1813, Colby College is the 12th-oldest independent liberal arts college in the nation enrolling 1815 students who represent 46 states and more than 76 countries on a beautiful 713 acre campus in central Maine. Colby College is announcing that we are actively seeking applications and nominations for a:
BUILDING MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
PHYSICAL PLANT DEPARTMENT
The Building Maintenance Technician reports to the Building Trades Supervisor. The Building Maintenance Technician will be responsible for tasks relating to the general maintenance of building systems in a commercial/educational setting. These include general carpentry area, such as windows, glass, flooring, walls, roofs, and masonry.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Follows all safety rules and procedures.
• Safely operates tools and equipment necessary to perform job duties.
• Works in a positive, cooperative manner with other departmental personnel. The ability to work with members of the diverse Colby community as necessary.
• Responds to emergency calls as necessary. Must be able to independently assess situations and form a plan for remedy.
• Independently responds to work order and requests.
• Demonstrates communication and leadership skills.
• Ability to operate power tools and equipment necessary to perform job duties.
• Performs work in a prompt, neat, and careful manner that displays common sense, planning, and thoughtfulness.
• Coordinates work with other shops.
• Notifies and/or obtains advice from the Building Trades Supervisor or calls for assistance as may be appropriate in any situation.
• Maintains building systems to include windows, masonry, glass, flooring, walls, and roofs.
• Performs other duties as directed by the Building Trades Supervisor.
- This position requires a high school diploma or GED
- Minimum 5 years progressive experience in building trades
- A degreein a Building Trades program may be substituted for experience
- Specialized training/experience in masonry, roofing, or finish carpentry highly desired
- Valid driver’s license required
- Basic computer skills are desired, i.e., word processing, email, and spreadsheet software
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Position hours are Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., with overtime as necessary to support operations. General indoor and outdoor physical plant and campus environment. Duties require that employee interact with faculty, staff, and students. Position involves frequent movement. Must be able to walk, bend, stoop, and lift up to 75 lbs. Driving of College vehicles required. Computer and tool usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary.
Interested candidates may apply electronically by clicking the "Apply Now" button below or please submit your letter of application, resume and the names and telephone numbers of three references to: