EFFECTIVE FRIDAY, MAY 10TH - WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS FOR THIS POSITION'
POSITION REPOSTED 4/26/13
Founded in 1813, Colby College in Waterville, Maine, is one of the nation's oldest and best independent liberal arts colleges, enrolling approximately 1,825 students. Colby is a national leader in research and project-based undergraduate learning, and the depth of student-faculty interaction and collaboration is unparalleled. Colby embraces and honors a 200 year tradition of fostering intellectual and personal growth with graduates emerging as conscientious, committed, courageous and inspired leaders ready to make a profound impact on their world. Colby is a national leader in environmental sustainability and education with award-winning campus greening initiatives and academic program. Colby invites applications for the position of:
ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES
The Assistant Director is a Generalist position particularly focused on recruitment, with related responsibilities in employment, compensation and education. Specifically, this position will lead a high quality, diverse, service-oriented recruitment program supporting administrative and support staff, assistant coaches, summer hiring and temporary staff, that meets Federal/State/Colby’s guidelines while fostering effective relationships with supervisors, employees, applicants and outside contacts. To accomplish these high expectations, the successful candidate will conduct supervisor and employee education sessions to help coach and counsel department heads/supervisors and employees on related policies, procedures and best practices. This position also leads or assists in managing department operations including an employee service award program, summer hiring, numerous reports, student workers, surveys, unemployment hearings, MHRC reviews, tuition subsidy program and a variety of other initiatives in a cost-efficient manner to maximize limited resources.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work closely with Directors to ensure organizational goals are met by developing short and long-term staffing strategies.
• Analyze hiring needs and then build candidate pipelines through networks (inside and out), social media, market research, networking and other sources of top diverse talent.
• Assist supervisors with search timelines and procedures, written job descriptions/postings, advertising copy, recordkeeping, and comparison surveys.
• Guide or participate in the investigation and resolution of background checks, employee relations issues, corrective actions, policy interpretations, terminations, immigration and probationary reviews.
• Carefully manage recruitment, relocation and advertising budget which includes placing and processing effective advertising through the negotiation of cost-efficient contracts.
• Assist, when applicable, determining starting salary levels, scheduling and interviewing of candidates, candidate travel, lodging, extending employment offers, moving/transition arrangements and onboarding.
• Conduct HR screening interviews and provide candidate assessments to departments.
• Manage appointment letters, completion of legally required forms, personnel action forms, physical exams if applicable and orientation of new employees.
• Develop and deliver specialized education sessions to supervisors and employees.
• Assist with providing information to employees and processing of paperwork for the Colby mortgage benefit.
• Develop and administer an internal and external temporary help pool.
• Hire, train and supervise student workers.
• Follow-up with departments regarding new hires to ensure a successful onboarding process.
• Actively manages all processes surrounding federally required I-9 work authorization form, including documentation verification, records management and compliance.
• Work with payroll to seamlessly coordinate the transfer of HR related data.
• Constantly be aware of customer service improvement opportunities, particularly in light of limited resources.
• Coordinate employee terminations, notifications, exit interviews, feedback and analysis process.
• Oversee the coordination of unemployment program including fact finding meetings, appeals and budgetary impact.
• Maintain and expand knowledge of existing and proposed feedback and state laws/regulations affecting HR functions; Identify trends that could impact organizational objectives and operational resources.
• Troubleshoot and flag unusual situations to work toward appropriate resolution, review or advisement.
• Report progress and results through regular metrics oriented reports.
• Provide consultation services to supervisors and employees on a wide range of HR practices including reorganizations, job redesign, compensation analysis, and more.
• Conduct internal audits of all HR related areas to ensure departmental and regulatory compliance.
• Perform additional duties as assigned.
• Broad based HR Generalist experience with thorough competency in recruitment, employment and compensation
• Minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional HR experience
• Proven supervisor with an ability to lead other supervisors through education and coaching about
• Ability to deal effectively with a wide range of people inside and outside Colby in a helpful, positive and constructive way
• Strong negotiation skills
• Proven talent dealing with complex issues in a fast paced, multi-task environment
• Demonstrated analytical talent with strong spreadsheet experience
• History of frequently utilizing solid initiative and exceptional independent judgment
• Strong communication and writing skills
• Proficiency with software including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and databases
• Must be able to balance multiple projects, phones, and walk-in customers simultaneously
• Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred
• PHR, SPHR, or CEBS certification preferred
This position has significant interactions with employees, including Vice Presidents, Deans, Directors, Supervisors, Applicants, other members of the campus community and outside constituencies.
Interested candidates may apply electronically by clicking the "Apply Now" button below and should address your letter of application, resume and the names and telephone numbers of three references to: