Founded in 1813, Colby College is the 12th-oldest independent liberal arts college in the nation enrolling 1815 students who represent 46 states and more than 76 countries on a beautiful 713 acre campus in central Maine. Colby College is announcing that we are actively seeking applications and nominations for an:
PHYSICAL PLANT DEPARTMENT
The HVAC Mechanic will be responsible for maintenance and repair of all mechanical systems and temperature control work at the College. This is a full time permanent position with benefits. Must work in a positive, cooperative manner with other departmental personnel and the Colby community. The HVAC Mechanic reports to the Supervisor of Mechanical and Electrical Services.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Follows all safety rules and procedures.
• Safely operates tools and equipment necessary to perform job duties.
• Works in a positive, cooperative manner with other departmental personnel. The ability to work with members of the diverse Colby community as necessary.
• Responds to emergency calls as necessary. Must be able to independently assess situations and form a plan for remedy.
• Independently responds to work order and requests.
• Demonstrates communication and leadership skills.
• Performs work in a prompt, neat, and careful manner that displays common sense, planning, and thoughtfulness.
• Coordinates work with other shops.
• Notifies and/or obtains advice from the Supervisor of Mechanical and Electrical Supervisor or calls for assistance as may be appropriate in any situation.
• Inspect, maintain, and service cooling towers, condensers, compressors, chillers, heat pumps, motors, air handlers, fume hoods, fans, control systems, and other heating, air conditioning and refrigeration systems.
• Maintain customer comfort levels in all campus buildings.
• Maintain proper chemical balance on all closed water systems.
• Maintain pool water chemical balance, temperatures, and associated equipment
• Maintain Energy Management System including, repairs, scheduling, and troubleshooting. Schedule equipment, start/stop equipment, and perform other EMS responsibilities as assigned.
• Maintain all PM records and CMMS records/updates.
• Maintain refrigerant logs and disposal records.
• Identification and tagging of all new equipment installed.
• Support other trades as required and assist with heating, cooling, plumbing, electrical and other similar problems.
• Make recommendations to supervisor regarding improvements and problems.
• Maintain the tools, equipment, and mechanical areas in a clean, neat, orderly condition.
• Perform other duties as directed by the supervisor.
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
• Additional post-secondary education is desired, such as Associates Degree, related college courses, seminars, certificates, or other documented training.
• Valid Maine Driver’s License required. Must have at least one of the following applicable licenses: Universal Refrigerant License, Maine State Limited Electrical License or better, Maine State Oil Burners License.
• Mechanical knowledge and ability in the operation, maintenance, adjustment and service of the mechanical equipment and systems generally used in institutional buildings.
• Knowledge and ability in the maintenance and repair of plumbing systems.
• HVAC control systems experience, pneumatic and DDC.
• Experience with water to air, and water to water heat pumps required. Geothermal heat pump experience is a plus.
• Ability to read and understand plans specifications, and other technical documentation and ability to quickly learn new systems.
• Computer skills are required.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Position hours are Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., with overtime as necessary to support operations. General indoor and outdoor physical plant and campus environment. Duties require that employee interact with faculty, staff, and students. Position involves frequent movement. Must be able to walk, bend, stoop, and lift up to 75 lbs. Must be able to climb or crawl into small spaces, including manholes, steam pits, mechanical rooms, and other spaces as required to perform the requirements of the position. Driving of College vehicles required. Computer and tool usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary.
Interested candidates may apply electronically by clicking the "Apply Now" button below or please submit your letter of application, resume and the names and telephone numbers of three references to: