Founded in 1813, Colby College is the 12th-oldest independent liberal arts college in the nation enrolling 1815 students who represent 46 states and more than 76 countries on a beautiful 713 acre campus in central Maine. Colby College is announcing that we are actively seeking applications and nominations for an:
COLBY COLLEGE INVESTMENT OFFICE
The Colby College Investment Office manages a roughly $600 million investment portfolio. The investment portfolio provides ongoing support to the College’s operating budget while maintaining the long term purchasing power for future generations of beneficiaries. The portfolio utilizes external managers across multiple asset classes in order to achieve these ongoing and long term goals. A twelve person investment committee, with investment experience across the relevant asset classes serves as an active resource for the investment effort.
The candidate will have an understanding of and passion for active management, alternative investment strategies and the challenges of managing a long-term investment portfolio. The candidate will be part of a two person team reporting directly to the CIO and based in a Portland Office (Spring 2013 opening). Extensive travel is expected due to the global nature of the investment portfolio. Additionally, the candidate should have an affinity for the Colby Community and the state of Maine.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Collaborate with investment team, oriented around the long term objectives of the endowment investment pool. Shared responsibility for all aspects of the investment process including asset allocation, investment policy development, performance and risk monitoring and reporting.
• Primary responsibility for asset class where the candidate has considerable expertise.
• Secondary responsibility for asset class where the candidate can fill a generalist role.
• Development and Research of Investment Themes.
• Sourcing, Research and Monitoring of External Managers in areas related to asset class or investment theme.
• Provide written investment recommendations identifying an investment theme, investment objectives manager attributes, and detailed diligence items.
• Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to work within a dedicated investment team.
• Deep knowledge and network within an investment asset class and an ability to work productively with external managers.
• Broad understanding of the long-term investment pool investing and strategies with experience in manager selection and due-diligence for large multi-asset class portfolios.
• Strong analytical skills and understanding of the drivers of returns across different asset classes and specialized sub asset classes.
• Experience at an investment firm (Long Only, Hedge Fund or Private Equity Fund) analyzing and recommending investment opportunities.
• A record of high achievement at selective undergraduate and graduate academic institutions.
• A CFA or CAIA designation reflects positively on the candidate.
This position has significant interactions with the investment team, the Board of Trustees and external investment managers.
Interested candidates may apply electronically by clicking the "Apply Now" button below or please submit your letter of application, resume and the names and telephone numbers of three references to: