Founded in 1813, Colby College in Waterville, Maine, is one of the nation's oldest and best independent liberal arts colleges, enrolling approximately 1,825 students. Colby is a national leader in research and project-based undergraduate learning, and the depth of student-faculty interaction and collaboration is unparalleled. Colby embraces and honors a 200-year tradition of fostering intellectual and personal growth, with graduates emerging as conscientious, committed, and inspired leaders ready to make a profound impact on their world. Colby is a national leader in environmental sustainability and education with award-winning campus greening initiatives and a nationally renowned academic program. Colby invites applications for the position of:
COLBY COLLEGE MUSEUM OF ART
The Colby College Museum of Art currently holds more than 800 works of art by the artist Alex Katz along with associated archival materials that make up the Alex Katz Collection. The Katz Curator manages the exhibition, publication, and collection care duties for the Alex Katz Collection and the Katz Foundation Collection at the Colby College Museum of Art. With the Director and curatorial team, the Katz Curator will also contribute to a comprehensive exhibitions program, including temporary exhibitions and related programming, as well as permanent-collection installations related specifically to the Alex Katz Collection and works of art given to the Museum by the Katz Foundation. The Curator is also responsible, with the Director and curatorial team, for augmenting and illuminating the Museum’s collection through acquisitions and scholarly publications. In addition, the Katz Curator will support fundraising and public-relations initiatives of the Museum. Sustaining relationships with the Museum’s Board of Governors and campus and local communities are additional responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Organize and manage temporary, traveling, and permanent-collection exhibitions, with specific oversight for the Alex Katz Collection and Katz Foundation Collection
• Generate scholarly publications related to the exhibition program and the Katz Collection
• Conduct grant research and writing
• Cultivate donors and acquisitions, including close work with the Katz Foundation
• Supervise interns
• Provide oversight, management, and research of the Alex Katz Collection and Archive
• Other duties as assigned
• A M.A. in Art History or the equivalent; A Ph.D. in Art History is preferred
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills
• A record of exhibitions and scholarly publications
• Evidence of connoisseurship skills; familiarity with conservation and collection care
• The ability to work with members of a diverse community is necessary
• Scholarly expertise in the art of Alex Katz is preferred
• Museum experience in an academic environment is preferred
This position reports to the Director of the Museum and has significant interactions with other members of the museum staff.
Position involves sitting, although frequent movement is necessary. Walking, standing, bending, and twisting are required. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary. General office and campus environment with duties that require the employee interact with senior staff, faculty, staff, students and outside vendors.
Interested candidates may apply electronically by clicking the "Apply Now" button below or please submit your letter of application, resume and the names and telephone numbers of three references to: