Founded in 1813, Colby College is the 12th-oldest independent liberal arts college in the nation enrolling 1815 students who represent 46 states and more than 76 countries on a beautiful 713 acre campus in central Maine. Colby College is announcing that we are actively seeking applications and nominations for a:
REGISTRAR, MUSEUM OF ART
The Colby College Museum of Art was founded in 1959 and has nearly 8,000 works of art in its collection. The 26,000 square foot addition of the Alfond-Lunder Family Pavilion in 2013 will transform the museum into the largest in Maine. The Colby College Museum of Art has an ambitious exhibitions program coupled with an active education directive, and is simultaneously preparing for the arrival of the Lunder Collection in 2013 (http://www.colby.edu/academics_cs/museum/collection/lunder/overview.cfm).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reporting to the Associate Director, the museum seeks an energetic and experienced full-time Registrar who will be responsible for the care and management of the museum's collection.
- The Registrar will manage all aspects of collection care including shipping, insurance, inventory, condition reporting, records management for the collection.
- The Registrar's duties will include oversight for all rights and reproduction requests as well as managing digitization initiatives for the collection.
- This position will serve as the collections management database administrator.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred with at least five years' experience in art museum registration and exhibitions planning, including traveling exhibitions.
- The successful applicant will be a detail-orientated, team-player with a strong working knowledge of standard museum registration methods and be well-suited to an academic museum environment with a small staff.
- The applicant must have excellent oral and written communications skills, superior problem-solving skills, and the ability to work independently on special projects.
- Must be able to supervise interns and volunteers.
- The ideal candidate will possess excellent computer skills have experience with Embark Collections Manager and Embark Web Kiosk.
Interested candidates should electronically submit a letter of interest, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references through the "Apply Now" button, addressed to: