- Why Colby?
- Request Information
- College Profile
- Student Perspectives
- Alumni Success
- For Counselors
- Contact Admissions
Policies and Procedures for Using the
this page is just the policy- go here to actually send an announcement
These services are intended to provide efficient and effective means of communication of various kinds in the College. The Official Notices lists are for College administrative offices and Student officers to distribute brief, official notices to their constituent groups. The General Announcements lists will enable any member of a list to post a brief announcement to it.
1. This service should be used as an alternative to paper notice distribution.
2. Individuals may not unsubscribe from these official notices lists. Students, faculty, and staff are urged to regularly check their e-mail for notices sent using these lists.
3. This service is to be used only for high priority official notices that require distribution to all members of a particular constituent group. Policy statements, security alerts, deadline information, serious service disruption, and other notices of clear concern to each person on the list is properly sent using this method.
4. This service should not be used as the sole method for distributing emergency information. While a few recipients may read the message soon after it is sent, it can be expected to take a day or two for even the majority of recipients to have read it. If the notice will have little value if read more than a few hours after sending, it is probably not worth using this communication method.
5. Notices of specific special events or other topics of great interest to only a minority of the members of a list should be sent instead to the General Announcements list described below.
6. Below are the lists currently available, where appropriate, to administrative departments and designated student officers. Requests for additional official lists can be submitted to Ray Phillips, Director of ITS. Special purpose lists not shared between departments will be facilitated using other e-mail methods.
7. The following individuals have authority over who will be given permission to send to each list:
These individuals may prefer that requests for particular mailings be sent to them for review and, if approved, forwarded directly to the list on behalf of the originating department.
8. Each official notice list, which is used for official mailings to a particular group, will have an associated copy list that includes individuals outside that group. For example, this will ensure that if an authorized person in Security sends e-mail to a student list, individuals in the Dean of Students' office will receive a copy of that e-mail. Membership on the copy list is also determined by the individual with authority over the list.
9. E-mail sent to one of these lists must originate from (i.e., have the return address of) the sender's own College account but may refer to the content as coming from another person by using such language in the body of the message or subject line as "Message forwarded from…" or "Message sent on behalf of …"
10. Here is the procedure that an individual having appropriate authorization will use to send mail to an official e-mail list using any of the available e-mail applications (e.g., Eudora, Pine, etc.):
11. In a few weeks it is expected that anyone sending e-mail to one of these lists will have to do so using a web page now under development, rather than a conventional e-mail application. Additional information will be distributed later.
12. ITS will periodically regenerate list memberships to keep them current. If you have questions about criteria for list membership, consult Cathy Langlais, Director of Administrative ITS.
Procedures and Guidelines for Using General Announcements E-Mail Lists