- Why Colby?
- Request Information
- College Profile
- Scholars Programs
- Student Perspectives
- Alumni Success
- For Counselors
- Contact Admissions
The following instructions will guide you through configuring a profile for the 'Colby Access' wireless network in the Microsoft Windows XP operating system. Once these steps are completed and the 'Colby Access' profile is saved on the computer, you will not need to use them again as the settings will be stored for future use.
4. In the 'Wireless Network Connection Properties' window, select the ‘Wireless Networks’ tab at the top of the window and click the ‘Add’ button to configure a new connection. Make sure that the checkbox for 'Use Windows to Configure my wireless network settings' is selected.
• Network name (SSID): Colby Access
NOTE: If WPA2 is not an option you will need to download a Windows update. The update can be found here.
6. Select the 'Authentication' tab and configure as follows (also shown in screenshot below):
7. In this same window, click the 'Properties' button under the EAP Type pull down menu. This will bring up a new 'Protected EAP Properties' window, which must be configured as follows (and as in screenshot below):
8. While still in the 'Protected EAP Properties' window, click the 'Configure' button next to the Authentication Method pull-down menu (circled in red in the above screenshot). This will open a new 'EAP MSCHAPv2 Properties' window, shown below. Make sure that that the checkbox for 'Automatically use my Windows logon name' is unchecked, as shown below:
8. Select ‘OK’ to exit the 'EAP MSCHAPv2 Properties' dialog, select 'OK' again in the 'Protected EAP Properties' dialog, and select 'OK' once again to exit the 'Colby Secure Wireless Properties' profile window.
9. ‘Colby Access’ should now be in the ‘Preferred networks’ list under your Wireless Network Connection properties window, as shown below. Select ‘OK’ to close this window.
10. Your computer should automatically initiate a connection to Colby Access Wireless if it is available. If this does not happen, select ‘Colby Access’ from the Wireless Network connections screen (if it is not still up, it can be accessed via Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Wireless Network Connection). Double-click the network to initiate a connection.
11. When connecting to Colby Access for the first time, look for the dialog box shown below on your Windows icon bar (bottom-right corner of the screen):
12. After clicking the credential dialog box above, you will be prompted to enter your Colby username and password. Enter your Colby username and password. Leave the 'Logon domain' field blank. Select 'OK' when complete.
10. You should now be connected to the ‘Colby Access’ network. To verify the status of the connection, return to the ‘Network Connections’ window (via the Windows control panel) and double-click the ‘Wireless Network Connection’ icon to view the current status of the connection. It should show a status of ‘Connected’ and appear as in the following window:
With the profile for 'Colby Access' saved, you should only need to supply your logon information to re-join the network from now on.
If you experience problems, Faculty and Staff may contact the Support Center at email@example.com or ext. 4222 and Students may contact Student Computer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 4224.