This How-To tells how to import your Colby e-mail into a Gmail.com account. Other services may have similar abilities but are not described here. This assumes you have already created a Gmail account.
1. Login to Gmail.com using your email name and password.
2. Click on Settings at the top of your Gmail account, it is the gear icon. Go to the Accounts tab.
3. Under "Check mail from other accounts (using POP3):", click on "Add a POP3 mail account you own"
4. Type your Colby account email : email@example.com and continue
5. Type your Colby email password
6. Type your password again and the following:
Note: If using 2-step authentication, create new application password or disable 2-step.
7. POP username: firstname.lastname@example.org (include the @colby.edu)
8. POP server: pop.gmail.com
9. Click edit next to POP server, select Use SSL and change the port number to 995
10. Click Continue
You may run into problems where your information is not accepted after step 10. Try the following to see if it resolves your issue.
- If you're not able to import your Colby email to your Gmail account, please log on to your Colby account. Empty the trash and spam folder.
- Log on to your gmail account go to My Account/Sign in & Security/ scroll down and Turn on Allow less Secure Apps.If you don't have two step authentication turned on you can now follow the instructions to import your email.
- If you have two step authentication on go to My Account/Sign in & Security/Password & Sign in Method/ Scroll down see App Password. Select the arrow to the right. Select App and choose Other(custom name) give it a name now select generate. Copy your app password in yellow "for your device" Log in to your Gmail account and paste the code as your Colby password to transfer your email to your gmail account.
11. Gmail will now validate your Colby email password and then prompt you for info on some of the import options.
12. By default "import email" and " Add label to imported messages" will be selected. Uncheck "Leave a copy of retrieved messages on the server". Also, if you would like your imported mail to skip your Inbox, select "Archive incoming messages" and messages will be into the "All Mail" folder in Gmail.
13. Click on "Start import"
All of your Colby email will be transferred to your Gmail account.