The following instructions are for OSX version 10.6 (Snow Leopard). Earlier versions may encounter slight differences.
1. Select the ‘Colby Access’ network from the Airport program menu icon on the OSX menu bar:
2. If prompted, enter your Colby username (without the '@colby.edu') and password in the dialog box. If you quickly see a message about 'connection timeout,' click the submit/OK button again - this is a bug that affects certain Apple hardware types.
3. You may receive a dialog box prompting you to accept a certificate (shown below) that will be from one of Colby's domain controllers (its-dc2, dc3 or dc4). Click 'Continue' to accept the certificate. The certificate will be stored in your computer's keychain so you will only need to do this once.
If this procedure does not work or if you are still unable to connect,
try the following:
- Select the AirPort icon again, from step one above
- At the bottom of the list, select 'Open Network Preferences'
- In the Network Preferences window, make sure that the padlock at the lower left corner is unlocked. If it is locked, click it to unlock it (this requires administrator privileges and will ask for a password).
- Click the 'Advanced' button at the lower right of the Network Preferences window.
- You will now see a list of 'Preferred Networks.' These are networks that your Mac already knows about.
- If 'Colby Access' is listed here, select it and press the '-' button at the bottom of the list to delete the profile
- Click the '+' button at the bottom of this list to create a new network profile.
- Fill in the dialog boxes as follows:
Click 'OK' to finish the profile setupYou will now see 'Colby Access' in the list of Preferred Networks. It is recommended that you move this network to the top of the list (using the '+' button) while on campus.Click 'OK' again, and then 'Apply' to finish this setupYou should now be able to select and connect to the 'Colby Access' network.
- Network Name : Colby Access
- Security : WPA2 Enterprise
- Username / Password - choose one of the following
- Enter your Colby username (without the @colby.edu) and password if you this network to automatically connect. Note that if you change your Colby password, you will need to update this profile.
- Leave these fields blank if you prefer to be prompted for your password when you connect to the network
If you experience problems, Faculty and Staff may contact the Support
Center at email@example.com or ext. 4222 and Students may contact
Student Computer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 4224.