The most common crimes committed at Colby are thefts. Most larcenies are crimes of opportunity and occur primarily when property is left in unlocked and unattended areas. To help alleviate this problem, the Department of Security encourages students to:
- Keep doors locked at all times.
- Avoid bringing large amounts of cash or other valuables to campus.
- Keep items of value out of sight, especially those in a parked car.
- Never lend the key to their room.
- Take room keys into the shower. Don’t leave keys in a robe or other clothing where someone going through pockets can find them.
- Participate in Colby Check.
- When leaving for vacation, store valuables such as stereos and televisions out of sight. During summer recess, do not leave valuables in student storage areas. These areas are not secure and the College is not responsible for the loss of property. Students’ families’ homeowner’s insurance policies may have riders that covers their belongings while they are away from home. Check to make sure.