Like other highly selective liberal arts colleges, Colby requires all international applicants to have completed a pre-university course of study.
- Completed Common Application
- Completed Colby Supplement (short-answer essay questions specific to Colby)
- Official record of secondary school work with all courses and grades, including results from appropriate examinations (e.g., IGCSE, "A" Levels, International Baccalaureate, HSC, WASC)
- Explanation of the grading system used and an English translation of records reported in other languages
- Standardized Tests Scores:
- SAT or ACT or three SAT Subject Tests of your choice, sent by the testing agency**
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) instead of SAT/ACT scores if the applicant is from mainland China
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required if English is neither your first language nor your current language of instruction**
- Early Decision Agreement Form (required for Early Decision applicants only)
Optional App Materials:
Do I need to pay the application fee?
- Are you submitting the application online?
- Does the fee present a financial hardship?
If so, you qualify for an Application Fee Waiver. If not, send the $65 application fee in U.S. dollars (as an international money order or a check drawn on an American bank). Make sure to include your name somewhere on your payment.
Applied to Colby before?
Submit Colby's Application Reactivation Form and remember:
- It’s important to display your name and address prominently on everything you send us
- If you are seeking financial aid, you’ll need to reapply every year
- You don’t need to submit another Common Application or send another application fee—once is enough
**All required tests must be taken no later than January for admissions the following September (earlier if you are applying as an Early Decision candidate). See deadlines
for more information.