Late rally falls short for men's lacrosse in loss

Contact: William Sodoma
Date: April 2, 2013
Athletics Preview Photos

Bjorn Knutson (Dustin Satloff Photography)

BIDDEFORD, Maine --- The Colby College men's lacrosse team scored three goals in the final 5:35 of play, but University of New England held on for a 7-6 non-conference win on Tuesday.

The Mules fall to 4-4 overall heading into Saturday's 1 p.m. road game with Wesleyan University. The Nor'easters improve to 7-3 overall.

Bjorn Knutson was 11-for-15 in face-offs, scooped eight ground balls, and caused two turnovers to lead Colby. 

Garth Franklin, James Wyse, Keith Fairbrother, Ian Deveau, John Grimaldi, and Chip Grossman had goals for the Mules. 

UNE led 4-3 at halftime and then scored the only three goals of the third quarter to take a 7-3 margin into the final 15 minutes. Dan O'Gorman had one goal and one assist for the Nor'easters in the third quarter. UNE scored all three goals in the opening 5:46 of action.

Neither team managed a goal over the next 18 minutes, 49 seconds and the Nor'easters appeared to be on their way to a comfortable win. Grossman got the Mules going with an unassisted goal with 5:35 to play. Fairbrother scored off a pass from John Alex Rutan with just 1:26 to play and the Mules were threatening at 7-5. Grimaldi made it a one-goal game with an unassisted goal with 1:09 remaining.

The final 1:09 was hectic, with UNE winning the face-off only to turn the ball over with 45 seconds to play (Peter Willauer caused turnover). Colby had its final chance to tie the game on a shot by Franklin that was saved by goalie Jay Letendre with 25 seconds remaining. The Nor'easters scooped the ground ball after Franklin's shot, but again turned the ball over with 18 seconds to play. The Mules, though, turned the ball over trying to push the ball up the field in the final 10 seconds.
Colby took a 2-1 lead after one quarter after UNE's Mike Allan scored just 2:18 into the game. Wyse and Deveau had unassisted goals to give the Mules their lone lead of the contest. The Nor'easters scored three straight goals in a span of 2:36 of the second quarter to push out to a 4-2 margin. Franklin scored his goal with 6:58 to halftime to cut the margin to 4-3 at the break.

Willauer finished with four ground balls and the one caused turnover, while Fairbrother also had four ground balls. Buddy Reed and Greg McKillop each had three ground balls.

Peter Reiley played 35:46 and made five saves for the Mules. Tyler Will went the rest of the way, allowing no goals and stopping five shots. 

U. New England 7, Colby 6
Colby...............  2  1  0  3 -  6
Univ. of New England  1  3  3  0 -  7
Colby SCORING: GOALS: Garth Franklin 1; James Wyse 1; Keith
Fairbrother 1; Ian Deveau 1; John Grimaldi 1; Chip Grossman 1. 
ASSISTS: John Alex Rutan 1. 
Univ. of New England SCORING: GOALS: Sam Cloutier 2; Dan O'Gorman 1;
Mike Allan 1; Nick Gross 1; Brent Bourgeois 1; Tyler Thomas 1. 
ASSISTS: Mike Allan 1; Nick Gross 1; Dan O'Gorman 1. 
SHOTS - Colby 28; Univ. of New England 24.
Penalties - Colby 2/1:30; Univ. of New England 1/1:00.
MAN-UP OPPORTUNITIES - Colby 0-1; Univ. of New England 1-2.
FACEOFFS - Colby 11-16; Univ. of New England 5-16.
GOALIES - Colby: Peter Reiley (35:46, 12 shots-5 saves, 7 GA) and Tyler Will (24:14, 5 shots-5 saves, 0 GA); UNE: Jay Letendre 7-3 (60:00, 13-7, 6).

Related Links: