Men's lacrosse ends season with tough OT loss

Contact: William Sodoma
Date: April 24, 2013
Athletics Preview Photos

Peter Willauer led the Mules in caused turnovers and ground balls this year.

LEWISTON, Maine --- The Colby College men's lacrosse team ended the season Wednesday, losing a tough 13-12 triple overtime game to Bates College in New England Small College Athletic Conference play.

The Mules were 4-2 at one point this season, but injuries hurt the team and they never got back on track in finishing 6-9 overall and 2-8 in the conference. Colby lost four league games by one goal.

The loss ended the careers of Colby's 10 seniors, including 100-plus point scorers Ian Deveau, Greg McKillop, and John Jennings. Deveau finished his career ranked fifth all-time on Colby in scoring (179 points, 99 goals, 80 assists), sixth in career goals, sixth in assists, and tied for sixth in most points in a season (52 points this year). McKillop finished his career with 133 points (51 goals, 82 assists) and is fifth all-time in career assists. Jennings ranks third all-time for Colby in goals scored (115) and finished his career with 129 points despite missing more than 10 games in his time at Colby.

Sophomore Jack Strain scored his sixth goal of the game with 2:23 remaining in the third overtime period for Bates (7-6 overall, 5-5 NESCAC).

Colby won the face-off to start the third four-minute overtime period, and called timeout with 3:07 on the clock. Out of the timeout, John Grimaldi's shot rang off the right post to junior goalie Charlie Kazarian's left. Bates senior Dan Hines corralled the ground ball and cleared, then drifted behind Colby's goal and passed to Nick Ford on the other side of the field. Heavily guarded, Ford dished from the left baseline to Strain, located about 15 yards away from Colby's goal on the left wing. Strain's quick sidearm shot passed Colby goalie Tyler Will and into the net.

The Mules led 4-1 early in the second quarter and 5-2 with 4:58 left in the first half, before the Bobcats ended the half with a 3-0 run to tie the game at 5-5. Neither team led by more than a goal the rest of the way, in a very evenly played contest. Bates took 54 shots to Colby's 49, as both teams' goalies piled up the saves: Colby's Will finished with 21 saves, while Bates' Kazarian collected a career-high 19. Both goalies had 17 saves apiece at the end of regulation.

Both teams scored three goals apiece in the third quarter, for an 8-8 tie heading into the fourth. Bates senior Rob Highland's first goal of the game with 11:55 to go, on senior Kyle Starr's third assist of the contest, made it 9-8 in Bates' favor. Colby's Garth Franklin answered three minutes later with an unassisted tally, his lone goal of the game. Reed Lewallen scored his first goal since March 16 on a feed by Bates sophomore Jack Allen with 6:38 to go, but Colby answered with back-to-back goals by John Jennings and Derek Youngman at the 5:31 and 4:34 marks to assume its first lead since 6-5 early in the third quarter. Jennings backed his defender closer and closer to the face of Bates' goal, then turned and shot around his hip, likely never seen by Kazarian. Youngman made it 11-10 Colby when he got a step on his defender behind Bates' goal and beat Kazarian one-on-one from an angle in the left flat.

Highland tied it back up for Bates with 2:17 to go, as he ran the perimeter of the circle before unleashing a shot from a tight angle on the left just before running out of shooting room. Bates junior Paul Donovan won the ensuing face-off, and with 1:37 to go junior Will Gilkeson got his second goal of the game from 15 yards out on a left-handed offering.

Colby's Max Eberhart out-dueled Donovan for the next face-off, and the Mules called timeout with 41.1 seconds on the clock. Out of the timeout, Greg McKillop drove toward Bates' goal before passing back out to the top of the circle to Ian Deveau, whose wicked bounce shot landed caromed just under the crossbar for another game-tying goal with 32 seconds left in regulation, sending the game into extra periods.

Youngman led Colby's attack with four goals and an assist, while Deveau chimed in with three goals. Jennings had two goals and an assist, McKillop had three assists, and Chip Grossman tallied a goal and an assist. Peter Willauer scooped a game-high eight ground balls and added a goal for the Mules. Max Eberhart won 15 of 29 face-offs.

Related Links: