Late comeback helps Cardinals top men's lacrosse

Contact: William Sodoma
Date: April 6, 2013
Athletics Preview Photos

Peter Willauer had six ground balls. (Dustin Satloff Photography)

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. --- After the Colby College men's lacrosse team took an 11-7 lead with 10:54 to play, Wesleyan University scored six of the next seven goals to pull out a stunning 13-12 victory over the Mules in New England Small College Athletic Conference play Saturday.

The Mules drop to 4-5 overall and 1-4 in the conference, while the Cardinals move to 8-2 overall and 4-2 in league play. Colby will play at Trinity College on Sunday at 1 p.m. in another league game. 

The Cardinals scored three straight goals to cut Colby's margin to 11-10 with 4:48 to play. The Mules pushed the lead up to two goals when All-American Ian Deveau tallied unassisted with 4:29 left. Wesleyan scored three goals in a row in the final 2:41 to take the win away from Colby. Quentin DellaFera scored the game-winning goal with just one second to play.

John Jennings finished with a game-high five goals and added an assist to earn a point on half of Colby's goals. Deveau added two goals, James Wyse had one goal and two assists, and Garth Franklin scored once and added one assist. John Alex Rutan, Greg McKillop, and Derek Youngman also scored for the Mules.

David Murphy led Wesleyan with three goals and one assist, while Graham Macnab added two goals and two assists.

The game was tied at 3-3 when Rutan scored with just nine seconds remaining in the first quarter from Franklin to give Colby the lead. The Mules extended the lead to 6-3 on goals by Youngman and Jennings. Wesleyan fought back to make it 6-5 on scores from Murphy and Aidan Daniell. McKillop put Colby up 7-5 at halftime when he scored with 1:03 to play.

Wesleyan cut the margin to one goal at 8-7 after three quarters when Matt Prezioso scored with 1:40 to play. Wyse had the lone Colby goal in the period off a pass from Greg McKillop.

The first 4:06 of the fourth quarter could not have gone better for the Mules. Jennings scored unassisted just 59 seconds into the quarter and then tallied again with 11:53 left from Wyse. Deveau made it 11-7 with his unassisted goal with 10:54 to play.

Tyler Will earned the start for Colby and made 14 saves in net, while two Wesleyan keepers (Mark Simmons, JD Dieterich) combined for six saves.

Peter Willauer had a game-high six ground balls, while Max Eberhart was 10-for-16 on face-off attempts for the Mules. Kenny Jacobson and Bjorn Knutson each had three ground balls.

Wesleyan 13, Colby 12
Colby...............  4  3  1  4 - 12
Wesleyan University.  3  2  2  6 - 13
Colby SCORING: GOALS: John Jennings 5; Ian Deveau 2; James Wyse 1;
Garth Franklin 1; John Alex Rutan 1; Peter Willauer 1; Derek Youngman
ASSISTS: James Wyse 2; Garth Franklin 1; Chip Grossman 1; John
Jennings 1; Greg McKillop 1; Brendan McNeill 1. 
Wesleyan University SCORING: GOALS: David Murphy 3; Graham Macnab 2;
Aidan Daniell 2; Mike Giambanco 2; Quentin DellaFera 1; Matt Prezioso
1; Remy Lieberman 1; Nate Ryan 1. 
ASSISTS: Graham Macnab 2; Aidan Daniell 1; Quentin DellaFera 1; Mike
Giambanco 1; David Murphy 1. 
SHOTS - Colby 30; Wesleyan University 43.
Penalties - Colby 5/3:00; Wesleyan University 3/2:30.
MAN-UP OPPORTUNITIES - Colby 1-3; Wesleyan University 1-5.
TURNOVERS - Colby 21; Wesleyan University 15.
FACEOFFS - Colby 15-28; Wesleyan University 13-28.
GOALIES - Colby: Tyler Will 0-1 (60:00 minutes, 27 shots-14 saves,
13 GA); Wesleyan: JD Dieterich 1-0 (10:54, 1-0, 1) , Mark Simmons
(49:06, 17-6, 11).

Related Links: