Field hockey earns league road win

Contact: William Sodoma
Date: September 19, 2009
Athletics Preview Photos

Hali Castleman

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. --- The Colby College field hockey team has had problems the past few years winning road games and capturing overtime contests.

Not this past week.

The Mules followed up a road win over Husson College on Tuesday with a big 3-2 overtime victory at Wesleyan University on Saturday in New England Small College Athletic Conference play.

"The team chemistry this year is so much better than what it has been in the past," Colby head coach Amy Bernatchez said. "We came back from two goals down in our opener against Trinity to tie the game, than we won the road game the other day against Husson. Things are happening for us that haven't happened in the past. I couldn't be more proud of the team and the way they are playing."

Colby improves to 2-1 overall and 1-1 in the NESCAC heading into Wednesday's 6 p.m. non-conference home game with St. Joseph's College. Wesleyan dropped to 0-2 overall and 0-2 in the conference.

Heather Quadir scored 2:45 into the overtime session off an assist from Hannah O'Brien to set off a wild Colby celebration. O'Brien had the ball near the baseline and quickly centered it to Quadir, who ripped it in the net.

Wesleyan nearly had the celebration about a minute into overtime, but Colby goaltender Liz Fontaine made a fine save to keep the game going. Fontaine had eight of her 11 saves in the opening half, while Wesleyan keeper Tori Redding had just six saves in the game.

"That was the biggest save of her life," Bernatchez said. "The goal was open and it seemed like she came out of nowhere to get a foot on it. It was one of those where Wesleyan's bench had already taken a step on the field to celebrate and had to come back."

Wesleyan had a 10-1 shot advantage in the first half, but Colby's lone shot resulted in a goal. The Cardinals had gone ahead 1-0 on the first of two unassisted goals by Alex Bean at 13:23 of the opening half. Courtney Erskine got her first collegiate goal with 6:47 left to halftime off a pass from Quadir. The play was similar to the overtime goal, but this time Quadir made the feed to Erskine.

Hannah O'Brien got her second goal of the season for Colby about nine minutes into the second half when she smacked in a shot off a pass from Kelly Roth. The play started with sweeper Megan Saccone finding Roth, who got her pass off to O'Brien on the far right side of the goal for the score.

Bean got her second goal with 9:48 left in regulation. However, the Mules buckled down and kept the Cardinals off the scoreboard the rest of the way. Bernatchez singled out Hali Castleman for her strong defensive play.

"She might get overlooked because we had so many great performances today, but I thought she was the player of the game," Bernatchez said. "She came up huge for us today."

Besides the shot advantage in the opening half, the Cardinals also had a 5-1 edge in penalty corners. The Mules bounced back in the second half and led in shots (10-5) and corners (5-1).

Colby 3, Wesleyan 2, OT

Colby                     1#1#1---3

Wesleyan            1#1#0---2

1st half

W: Alex Bean, 13:23

C: Courtney Erskine (Heather Quadir), 28:13

2nd half

C: Hannah O'Brien (Kelly Roth), 44:07

W: Alex Bean, 60:12


C: Heather Quadir (Hannah O'Brien), 72:45

                Shots: Colby 12, Wesleyan 17. Penalty corners: Colby 7, Wesleyan 9. Goalies: Liz Fontaine (Colby, 72:45, 2 GA, 11 saves); Tori Redding (Wesleyan, 72:45, 3 GA, 6 saves).   


Related Links: