Wild comeback helps women's soccer to win

Contact: William Sodoma
Date: October 29, 2010
Athletics Preview Photos

Marissa Simmons

WATERVILLE, Maine --- With no New England Small College Athletic Conference bid to play for on Friday, the Colby College women's soccer team made a stunning comeback from a 3-0 deficit to pull out a 4-3 overtime victory over Bates College in the regular season finale for both teams Friday.

Marissa Simmons (Chestnut Hill, Mass.) hit solidly a 25-foot shot that went over the reaching hand of Bates goalkeeper Annie Burns (Topsfield, Mass.) and into the upper right corner of the net to give the Mules the wild victory.

While Colby ends the season at 5-6-3 overall and 1-5-3 in the New England Small College Athletic Conference, Bates (6-7-1 overall, 2-6-1 NESCAC) is the eighth seed in the NESCAC playoffs and will play at top-seeded Tufts University on Sunday at 12:30 p.m. in a quarterfinal game.

The Bobcats appeared to be headed toward an easy victory after scoring three goals in the opening 19:05 of play. Bates scored first on an own goal by Colby just 5:39 into play. Jaimie Cappucci (Saugus, Mass.) went up for a header with a Colby defender who accidently headed the ball in.

Cappucci made it 2-0 at 15:51 when she took a pass from Meaghan Doherty (Bethesda, Md.) and beat Colby keeper Loni Pisani (Kanata, Canada). Cappucci then had the assist on a goal by Tina Tobin (Lowell, Mass.) at 19:05 to help the Bobcats go up 3-0 at intermission.

The Mules turned the tables on Bates with three goals in the opening 18:06 of the second half to tie the game. Simmons gave the Mules some life just 2:25 into the half on a goal off an assist from first-year Alex Yorke (Chicago, Ill.).

The Mules got back in the game for good when Samantha Merriweather (Los Altos, Calif.) scored the first of her two goals at 12:37 of the half. Her header off a direct kick by Su Del Guercio (Parsippany, N.J.) made it a one-goal game.

Merriweather then scored arguably the biggest goal of her career at Colby when she tied the game at 3-3 on an unassisted tally at 63:06 of the contest.

Simmons also joined Merriweather with her second goal of the game and her most memorable as well in a Colby uniform. Sophomore defender Kate Pistel (Amherst, Mass.) started the play when she intercepted a pass and then beat two Bates defenders off the dribble. After getting bottled up by a third defender, Pistel calmly changed her course and brought the ball back to Simmons, who nailed the golden goal into the upper right.

Jayde Bennett (Lynn, Mass.) entered the game in the beginning of the second half and earned the Colby victory in goal. She had four saves in 59:36. Burns stopped five shots, including a nice diving stop in the first overtime off a shot by Colby's Nikki Pickering (Keene, N.H.).

Colby 4, Bates 3, 2 OT

Colby                   0#3#0#1----4

Bates                   3#0#0#0----3


1st half
B: Own goal by Colby, 5:39

B: Jaimie Cappucci (Meaghan Doherty), 15:51

B: Tina Tobin (Jaimie Cappucci), 19:05

2nd half

C: Marissa Simmons (Alex Yorke), 47:15

C: Samantha Merriweather (Su-Lin Del Guercio), 57:37

C: Samantha Merriweather, 63:06


C: Marissa Simmons (Kate Pistel), 104:36

              Shots: Bates 12, Colby 22. Corner kicks: Bates 4, Colby 5. Goalies: Annie Burns (Bates, 104:36, 4 GA, 5 saves); Loni Pisani (Colby, 45:00, 3 GA, 1 save) and Jayde Bennett (Colby, 59:36, 0 GA, 4 saves).

Related Links: