- Why Colby?
- Request Information
- College Profile
- Student Perspectives
- Alumni Success
- For Counselors
- Contact Admissions
Use & Guidelines
The Colby Outing Club has worked hard to provide a peaceful, clean place to escape from campus life through the creation of the new cabin on Great Pond. Through careful management and cooperation with the members of the Colby community, we hope to keep this cabin in great shape for as long as we can.
Reservations are accepted well in advance, upon payment of the modest cabin fees, and can be canceled for a full refund ten days in advance, and for half refund up to twenty four hours in advance. To make reservations, go to the Outing Club during normal business hours, typically 7pm-8pm, Monday-Thursday. Key will be deposited in your campus mailbox. There is a hefty fee of $50 for lost keys for the cost of re-keying the locks and issuing new keys.
Fees and Availability
Day use of the site, as long it is not abused, will be allowed for no charge, except when the cabin is completely reserved. This reserved state will be posted on the tree below the Colby sign at the beginning on the driveway. Please respect this rule and the privacy of those who have reserved the cabin for private use.
Day use does not include the use of the cabin or cooking facilities as those are reserved for registered guests. You may barbecue on the fire pit or grill if they are operational and, of course, have access to the outhouse.
In order to preserve the atmosphere of the cabin, no more than 10 people are permitted to stay at the cabin each night.
In its current state the cabin is a great asset to our community though the club is eager to improve the image and utility of this site. The cabin has been recently renovated to address the needs of the Colby community and now offers a year-round outdoor retreat.
The Outing Club is very proud of this site and we are eager to introduce the cabin to the rest of the Colby community-- come by the office and we'll help you get there!
1. Depart Colby by the 3-way intersection by Johnson Pond. This is RICE RIPS RD and it immediately passes over interstate 95. Follow this 1 mile (downhill, over train tracks, short uphill), until it ends at a stop sign.
Procedures & Fees
So you want to go to the Cabin?? Great! The first thing you need to do is read this procedure which will explain exactly what you need to do.
Cabin Check Out Routine
1. Read the policy (on the homepage)
2. Bring your money ($$$$) to the COC Office during office hours Monday through Thursday (7-8) and talk to one of the cabin managers.
Officers $10// Members $15 per night// Non-members $20 per night// Powder and Wig Members $75
4. Sign a cabin waiver
5. Get a receipt and signature from the cabin manager.
6. Key will be deposited in your campus mailbox.
7. At the cabin, write in the journal, have a good time, and enjoy the lake! Please DO NOT LEAVE ANY FOOD at the cabin. Remember to bring your own water, wash your dishes and carry out your trash. Leave No Trace principles apply here--Pack it in, Pack it out.9. Lock the cabin and turn in the key at COC office hours Monday-Thursday .
Good luck and have fun!