If you are faced with any threatening behavior at Colby, here are the steps you must take:
- If possible, move to a safe location.
- Call 5911 immediately.
- Give the dispatcher detailed information of the threat.
- Give a description of the subject, location or last known location and/or direction of travel.
- Use active listening skills to communicate and deescalate the situation if possible.
- Threatening statements to kill/harm self or others, direct or veiled.
- References to or preoccupation with other incidents of workplace violence.
- Change in personality, mood or behavior.
- Intimidating, belligerent, insubordinate, defiant or challenging.
- Confrontational, angry, easily provoked, unpredictable, restless, or antisocial behavior.
- Destruction of property.
- Blames others for anything that goes wrong, with no sense of own responsibility.
- Shows recent marked performance decline.
- Substance abuse.
- serious stress in personal life.
Preventive and Ongoing Actions:
- Treat all employees, students, and visitors with dignity and respect.
- Respond to any and all acts of workplace violence.
- Document and provide examples or description of behaviors, statement, or actions that have caused concern.
- Report problem behavior to Human Resources, Security, or the Safety Office.
- Keep information on hand that explains where help can be found, how to obtain help, and the EAP (Employee Assistance Program).