On September 22 we were very excited to have our first workshop of the year. Pamela Kick, the President of Pinnacle IT and Vice President of Waterville Development Corporation came to Colby’s campus to speak about idea development. Pam told us how Pinnacle IT came to be, stressing the idea of taking opportunities that may come your way.
Pinnacle IT is a software development company based here in Waterville, providing programming services to many companies throughout the state of Maine, and beyond. Maine is an excellent location to be an entrepreneur!
Waterville Development Corporation aims to actively promote the creation of new permanent jobs by developing facilities and properties for new or expanded businesses to operate from. Pam shared many interesting (sometimes surprising) facts about Waterville that express the many niches in Waterville that could be filled with new businesses, and the benefits the business growth could provide.
Idea development tips from the workshop:
- Take ahold of opportunities!
- Know basic financial accounting, especially balance sheets
- Stay out of debt as much as possible
- Be aware that having employees is a huge responsibility
- When conducting market research look at ideas from the company, customers, competitors, and collaborators
Thank you to Pam from the EA for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience with us!