Annual Basic Charges 2017-18

Semester 1 Semester 2 Total
Comprehensive Fee $33,390 $33,390 $66,780

Calendar of Payments 2017-18

Upon Acceptance for Admission: Enrollment deposit—new students only (nonrefundable) $300
Aug. 1: One half of annual basic charges, less enrollment deposit if applicable $33,390
Jan. 2: One half of annual basic charges $33,390

Students arriving at Colby for their first semester on campus will also be charged for the Colby Outdoor Orientation Trip (COOT). The fee of $275 is due the same date as basic charges for the appropriate semester.


Enrollment Deposit for All New Students: A nonrefundable deposit of $300 is due on or before the date of confirmation of intention to attend. This deposit is credited against the charges for the student’s initial semester of enrollment and will be forfeited if the student does not enroll.

Study-Abroad Deposit: Students participating in a Colby program abroad are required to pay a $500 deposit. This deposit is forfeited should the student withdraw from the program.

Comprehensive Fee

Tuition: All matriculating students are required to enroll for at least 12 credit hours each semester. Exceptions are made by the dean of admissions and financial aid in the case of nontraditional students and by the dean of students in certain cases of regular students with extenuating circumstances that prohibit them from carrying a normal course load. Students who receive loans and/or grants should be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours per semester to qualify for these funds. In exceptional cases, students may be charged on a credit hour basis at the rate of $1,960 per credit hour. With permission of the dean of students, seniors needing fewer than 12 hours in their final semester may take only that number of credit hours necessary to meet their graduation requirement. In such cases, however, the full comprehensive fee per semester will be charged.

Board: The College offers a board plan of 21 meals per week. This plan allows students unlimited access to the dining halls during posted hours and is automatically billed to all students living on campus. Students living in the Alfond Apartments will receive a rebate of $1,825 per semester and will receive 100 meals per semester.

Room: Students are expected to occupy College housing facilities to the full extent of their availability. Other arrangements may be made only with specific approval of the dean of students. Residence hall reservations are made through the Office of Campus Life.

Room and Board Rebate: Students enrolled on campus who are approved to live off campus will receive a room and board rebate of $4,400 per semester and will receive 100 meals per semester.

Included in the comprehensive fee is an allocation for the Student Government Association and funding of College health services. There are no fees for staff services in the student health center. All full-time students are required to have health insurance coverage while attending Colby. All students are automatically enrolled in the plan underwritten by Commercial Travelers Mutual Insurance Company and billed the $1,669 annual premium. A student may waive participation in the plan by documenting that he/she has comparable coverage under another insurance policy. Documentation of coverage must be provided annually by fully completing the online health insurance registration form, which can be found at This form must be submitted by Aug. 1, 2017.

Off-Campus, January Program, Miscellaneous Charges

Off-Campus-Study Charges
Two types of off-campus-study programs are available at Colby: approved non-Colby off-campus study and Colby off-campus programs. Students who are engaged in approved non-Colby off-campus foreign or domestic study programs pay fees directly to the host institution or service providers. For Colby programs abroad and domestic exchanges, a comprehensive fee including tuition, room, board, and travel applies. Financial aid is available to students enrolled in the approved off-campus programs as well as to those enrolled in Colby abroad programs. All Colby abroad programs require a $500 attendance deposit. Semester fees for the 2017-18 Colby-billed off-campus programs are as follows:

Semester Charges

Colby at Bigelow Lab $33,390
Colby in Dijon $33,390
Colby in St. Petersburg $33,390
Colby in Salamanca $33,390

Students who expect to transfer credits for full-time study in a non-Colby program will be subject to a fee of $1,000 per semester. This fee will be charged on the Colby tuition bill.

Information regarding application deadlines and other program details may be obtained from the Office of Off-Campus Study.

January Program

A January Program that requires extensive travel, special materials, or highly specialized outside instruction carries a fee calculated to reflect the costs of the individual program.

Students who are not enrolled on campus for either the fall or spring semester will be charged a fee of $5,650 for tuition for participating only in an on-campus January Program. If on-campus housing is provided, an additional charge will be assessed.

Miscellaneous Charges

Applied Music: A student is notified of the fee that will be charged to the student account when registering for musical instruction in the applied music program. Music majors are eligible for subsidized instruction; refer to Music in the Departments, Programs, and Courses of Study section.

Medications: A student may be charged for the cost of some prescription and nonprescription medicines prescribed by the health services staff.

Fines: Fines are charged for failure to register automobiles, parking violations, late return of library books, checks returned as uncollectible, and disciplinary actions.

Damage to or Loss of College Property: Liability for damage or loss of College property located within individual residence hall rooms lies with the resident(s) of the room. When damage or loss of College property occurs in residence hall common areas (e.g., lounges, hallways, lobbies, bathrooms), the Office of Campus Life will make every effort to identify the individuals responsible and to bill them. In cases in which residential life staff determines that responsibility lies with the residents of a specific section of a residence hall, those students will be billed. When the individuals responsible for damage or loss of College property cannot be identified, the cost of repair or replacement is accumulated by the residence hall. At the end of each semester, the Office of Campus Life, in cooperation with the Physical Plant Department, determines the cost of all unidentified damage and loss of College property and bills the residents of each residence hall on a pro rata basis. Any conflicts regarding assignment of responsibility may be directed to the Judicial Board.

Financial Aid

In order to ensure access and opportunity for students from all economic backgrounds, Colby offers financial aid to admitted students who demonstrate financial eligibility and are enrolled full time. More than $34 million in grant funding is awarded annually to approximately 42 percent of the student body. The average aid package awarded to 783 grant recipients in 2016-17 was $45,306. In addition to Colby’s own programs, state grants, Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG), Federal College Work-Study, and Yellow Ribbon grants may be included in aid awards. Beginning with the 2008-09 academic year, the portion of calculated need previously met with student loans has been met with grants and campus employment; federal direct student and parent (PLUS) loans may be available to reduce the family contribution and to supplement the need-based financial aid package.

First-time aid applicants who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents wishing to apply for federal funds need only submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the federal processor. Those also applying for Colby’s institutional grants should submit the Profile form to the College Scholarship Service (CSS), including the Non-Custodial CSS Profile if applicable. On the basis of the FAFSA, the College Scholarship Service Profile (CSS) form, W-2 forms, federal income tax returns, and other forms that may be required for special circumstances, the College determines eligibility within the context of Colby policy and federal regulations. Students who do not complete a financial aid application prior to admission will not be considered for Colby grant assistance for two award years unless their family financial circumstances change substantially, unexpectedly, and unavoidably.

Early Decision applicants who wish to be considered for institutional financial aid must file the CSS Profile, FAFSA, and provide copies of the parent and student 2016 federal income tax return (including all schedules and W-2’s) before Nov. 15 for Early Decision I, before Jan. 1 for Early Decision II, and before Feb. 1 for Regular Decision. International students must complete and submit the International Student CSS Profile, Certification of Finances, and documentation of family income (bank statements, employers’ letters and/or tax forms with translation) by the appropriate decision deadline.

To provide flexibility, Colby also offers a 10-month, nine-month, or eight-month payment plan. Students who seek more detailed information may contact the Office of Student Financial Services.

Aid is also available for programs of study abroad and domestic programs of study away that are approved by the Office of Off-Campus Study. The only domestic programs for which federal or Colby aid may be used are those specified in the Off-Campus Study Handbook as Colby-approved programs.

Aid for programs of study off campus is based on the actual cost of the program plus an administrative fee, up to a maximum of Colby’s cost. Student loans may enable financial aid recipients to replace semester earnings, which are not available while studying internationally.

Parents and students may review information in the Student Financial Services and Career Center offices concerning scholarships offered by non-Colby organizations.

As stated more fully in the section on Academic Procedures in this catalogue, the Committee on Academic Standing reviews the records of all students at the end of each semester to determine if each is maintaining satisfactory academic progress. Decisions of this committee govern eligibility for financial aid in accordance with federal regulations and Colby policy.

Committee decisions of dismissal may be appealed. When students have been readmitted after academic dismissal, federal Title IV assistance (to a maximum of 10 semesters) will be awarded on a cumulative basis according to Colby’s published funding priorities for financial aid. All standards are in accordance with federal laws with respect to satisfactory academic progress. In general, a Colby grant is available only for tuition charged for course work required to obtain a Colby degree, up to eight semesters of full-time enrollment. To ensure maximum aid eligibility, a student must maintain a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester, exclusive of credits taken during January.

Students who are admitted to Colby as other-than-first-semester first-year students are eligible for Colby aid for the number of semesters required for graduation as determined by the College at the time of entry. For example, a student who matriculates as a second-semester first-year student is considered for up to seven semesters of aid.


Payment of Bills
Online student account statements are available to enrolled students. Students may authorize the College to make online statements accessible to parents or to discuss financial matters with parents. In order to do so, permission must be granted by the student through the myColby portal. Instructions on how to grant parental access are available on the portal. Electronic notices may be sent to the student’s email account should there be a balance due or as needed to communicate financial transactions, obligations, and pertinent information.

Prior to the first day of classes each semester, student accounts must be paid or satisfactory arrangements made with Student Financial Services. If the balance on the account is to be paid by an outside scholarship, a 30-day late fee waiver will be granted for the amount of the scholarship only if the student notifies Student Financial Services of this information prior to the first day of classes. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all financial matters are resolved prior to the first day of classes. Payments are applied against charges in the order in which the charges appear on the student’s account.

Notwithstanding any other provision in this catalogue, a student’s account, including tuition, room and board, fees, charges, and fines, must be paid in full before that student will be allowed to register for classes for an upcoming semester, to receive transcripts, to participate in the annual room draw process, to participate in baccalaureate or commencement exercises, or to receive a degree or diploma.

In the event that a student account is delinquent, the account may be placed with a collection agency or an attorney for collection. All collection costs, including attorney’s fees, will be charged to the student.

The College does not accept credit cards or post-dated checks for payment of semester charges. Electronic payments from a U.S. checking or savings account can be made at A fee of $15 is charged for any returned check or electronic payment.

Late Payment Fees

A late payment fee of one percent of an unpaid balance of $1,000 or more will be assessed at the first of each month for as long as such a balance remains unpaid. A balance must be 30 days old to be assessed a fee. Assessment dates for September and February will coincide with the first day of classes rather than with the first day of those months. In order to avoid late fees, it is best to send payment as early as possible as Colby cannot be held responsible for delays in mail service. Overnight mail or electronic payments are recommended when making payment within two weeks of the first day of classes. Electronic payments from a U.S. checking or savings account can be made at under the Student Account Info link.

Loan and Payment Plans

The College makes available a number of loan and payment plans. Those interested in such plans may contact Student Financial Services at 1-800-723-4033.


Pro rata refunds of the basic charges will be made for students who withdraw either voluntarily or upon advice from the College physician during the enrollment period. For purposes of this policy, withdrawal pending or as a result of disciplinary action shall not be considered voluntary. The enrollment period is either the fall or spring semester. (Refunds of basic charges are not granted to full-time students withdrawing during the January Program.) A similar refund policy is in effect for Colby off-campus programs.

The College offers an optional tuition refund insurance designed to reduce the financial loss caused by a medical withdrawal. Information is sent to students.

No refund will be made until the withdrawal/leave process established by the dean of students is completed.

Federal regulations determine the amount and the order in which federal loans and scholarships are to be refunded.

No refunds are made for students who elect not to do an on-campus January Program.

Occasionally, payments, outside scholarships, financial aid, or adjustments will result in an overpayment on the student’s account. Refunds will be made payable to the student unless the student requests otherwise in writing from their Colby email account. Students may request that the credit remains on their account to be applied to anticipated charges, or that the refund be directed to a parent. If the credit is the result of a withdrawal, Colby will comply with all federal, state, lender, and agency policies to return funds as required.

Future Tuition and Fees

The College projects that Colby costs likely will increase above inflation in order to maintain the real growth in salaries comparable to professionals outside of higher education, continue a financial aid grant program for about one-third of all Colby students, maintain and update the College’s physical plant and sophisticated equipment, and retain flexibility for currently unforeseen but essential investments that will be needed to keep Colby in the forefront of innovation and excellence in national liberal arts colleges.

General Information

Student Financial Services is located on the first floor of the Garrison-Foster Building. Staff members are available on weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to answer questions about student accounts, financial aid, student and parent loans, and College financial policies.