Finding a Suitable Location for the New College

Colby Bicentennial Seal 1813-1863

Aug. 1, 1817

scroll icon

August 1, 1817

The trustees met in Bath and heard the report of the Locating Committee, charged with finding a suitable location for the new college. The board accepted the report but rejected the proposed location, in Bloomfield (now Skowhegan).

Instead, the board “voted that the Maine Literary and Theological Institution be located at Waterville on condition that the sum rais’d by the town and rais’d by subscriptions of the inhabitants of Waterville and its adjacents, in┬áthe judgment of the locating committee, are found in such a situation that they are likely to be realized.”

A committee–John Hovey, Benjamin Shepard, Ebenezer Warren, and John Neal–was to purchase a plot of ground where to erect the buildings. The tuition was to be the same as Bowdoin College. Salary of faculty were set at: Professor of Theology and a Professor of Languages, $600;┬átutor, $400.

Six months later the board agreed to buy the Vaughan lot in Waterville: 179 acres for $2000. Nine months later, in May 1819, the board voted to “erect a wooden building on the College Land. Two stories high and 40 feet by 20 feet with an ell 22 by 12. Directed to use the lumber now on the spot …. and to contract for brick to be made not to exceed two hundred thousand also for other materials for the College Edifice.”

scroll icon