Do I need a ticket to attend the Commencement Ceremony?

The ceremony is open to the public. Seats are reserved for family and guests of the graduating class and special guests of the College, but others are welcome to observe from outside the seating area. Lawn chairs are permitted. If inclement weather moves the ceremony into the Alfond Athletic Center, tickets are required for the gymnasium, but those without tickets may watch the proceedings on large video screens in the field house.

What is the schedule for closing Mayflower Hill Drive?

Mayflower Hill Drive will be closed Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. as thousands of pedestrians cross between the Colby Green and the academic quadrangle. At the south end, the drive will be closed at Mount Merici Avenue. At the northeast end, Mayflower Hill Drive will be closed at the three-way intersection with Campus Drive and North Street (see campus map). Traffic delays may occur at other times during the weekend, especially from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Friday, as pedestrians cross Mayflower Hill Drive. Accommodations will be made for emergency vehicles. Some on-campus traffic will be permitted when possible.

What other closings are planned?

At 9 p.m. Saturday, Campus Drive along Johnson Pond will close for about 15 minutes for a fireworks display. Runnals Drive will be closed to traffic all day Saturday and Sunday (see campus map).

Where is parking for the Commencement ceremony?

Beginning at 7 a.m. Sunday, Colby security officers will direct parking. Drivers will be directed to Mary Low, Lunder, Roberts, Athletics, and PPD lots, and lots will be closed once they are full. Parking on Mayflower Hill Drive is restricted and spaces in Eustis Lot and on Bixler Drive (see campus map) are reserved for those with special permits. (To secure special parking permits call Director of Campus Events Karen Ledger in advance at 207-859-4735.)

Where are the restrooms?

Restrooms are available in the Lovejoy building and in Cotter Union.

When does Commencement start, and how long does it last?

The ceremony begins at 10 a.m. and usually lasts until 12:30 p.m. Guests should plan to arrive on campus by 9 a.m.

What is the rain plan?

In inclement weather, the ceremony will be conducted in Wadsworth Gymnasium at the Alfond Athletic Center, and live-streamed to overflow seating in the adjoining field house. Each senior will be issued three rain tickets. The decision to move the ceremony will be made very early Sunday and posted at

When is Baccalaureate, and may I attend?

Baccalaureate is at 10:30 a.m. Saturday. Seating in Lorimer Chapel is limited, but guests may view the procession and service on large video screens on the lawn in front of the chapel and in the Lovejoy Building.

How do I get meal tickets?

Graduating seniors are guests of the College for all meals during Commencement Weekend. Three special meals are offered: a lobster bake Friday evening, a banquet Saturday evening, and a luncheon Sunday following Commencement. Guests may purchase tickets to the lobster bake and the banquet. There is no charge for the luncheon, but advance registration is requested. Reservations are recommended for all special meals on campus this weekend.

Families and guests may eat Saturday and Sunday breakfast and Saturday lunch at Dana dining hall. Meal prices are: breakfast $6; lunch $8. Children five and under are free; ages six to 11 are half-price.

Pre-purchased meal tickets and complimentary Sunday lunch tickets are issued along with Commencement tickets to graduating seniors from the student post office in Cotter Union during Senior Week. If your student is unable to pick up the tickets, reserved packets will be available at each of the meals during the weekend.

How are a cappella concert tickets distributed?

Seniors will be offered four tickets per student on a first-come, first-served basis when they pick up their meal/Commencement tickets.

When and where is the Commencement Ball?

The Ball, open to all seniors and their guests, will begin at 9 p.m. Saturday on Dana Lawn. A live band will perform until midnight.

How can I get professional photos of a graduating student?

The College contracts with a studio to take photographs of seniors as they receive their diplomas. Families interested in ordering photos should contact Maineline Studio by Hockmeyer Studio at 207-692-0080.

Who can answer other questions about Commencement?

Please contact Karen Ledger, Director of Campus Events, at 207-859-4735 or