While the Counseling Services office does not offer psychiatric consultation or medication, we can make referrals to Colby College Health Services for students interested in psychiatric care. Health Services contracts with a local psychiatrist and also employs a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) to provide psychiatric consultation/medication management for students. Students who are interested in a psychiatric consultation and who are working with a counselor in Counseling Services, can request a referral from their counselor to one of the practitioners listed above. A release of information form will need to be signed at that time allowing the student’s counselor to communicate with providers at Health Services. Students not affiliated with Counseling Services may also request an appointment by contacting Health Services directly at 859-4460, or may request an appointment in person by visiting Health Services on the 2nd floor of the Garrison Foster Building.

If a medication is prescribed, the student is responsible for the cost of the medication, which is often covered, at least in part, by health insurance.

Additionally, students who have been prescribed psychiatric medication by a home physician and who are interested in medication management on campus, should make an appointment with a medical practitioner at Health Services. Practitioners can help with routine refills and/or questions about students’ medications. If needed, a student can be referred to the psychiatrist or PMHNP for further consultation.