The Kristina Stahl Creative Writing Fund provides Jan plan and summer stipends to cover the costs student incur while undertaking unpaid internships (i.e. short-term employment opportunities) at book publishers, literary magazines, creative writing centers, literary organizations, literary agencies, and other similar organizations related to writing and the literary arts. In the event that there are insufficient funds to support all applications, preference will be given to students who are minoring in creative writing or who are English majors with a concentration in creative writing. A typical grant ranges from $500-$2500. Funds are to cover costs, including travel, food, and lodging expenses related to the internships. Graduating seniors are not eligible for summer internships.
Through a partnership with Grub Street, a creative writing center in Boston, the Kristina Stahl Creative Writing Fund also supports a summer intern at the center.
Applications for both the Kristina Stahl Creative Writing Internship award and for the Kristina Stahl/Grub Street internship award will be live on this DavisConnects webpage on March 1, 2019 and closing March 13, 2019.
There will be a second application round for students as follows:
Application Opens: April 7, 2019
Application Closes: April 16, 2019
Award Notifications: April 22, 2019
Students will fill out a general application (please visit that DavisConnects funding page to prep all essay questions and application materials). Qualified applicants will then be asked to answer or provide the following:
Skip questions #1 and #2 and move on to #3 if you would like to be considered for an internship with Grub Street:
- What courses or other experiences have you had that will contribute to the internship?
- Who will supervise you? Describe the nature of the supervision, such as how often you will be mentored.
- Answer the following questions only if you would like to be considered for an internship with Grub Street. Begin by reviewing information about Grub Street and Grub Street internships at grubstreet.org and grubstreet.org/get-involved/volunteer/.
- Which internship position is your 1st choice?
- Which internship position is your 2nd choice?
- Which internship position is your 3rd choice?
- Which internship position is your 4th choice?
- Describe previous internship, coursework, non-profit work, extracurricular activities, or other experience that might be directly relevant to this specific Grub Street internship.
- Describe experiences related to the specific Grub Street internships you are applying for. Do you have experience in managing databases? Conducting research? Do you have any professional experience with social media, blogging, etc.?
- Describe a creative project that you are proud of and how you went about implementing it.
4) Are you applying for funding from any source other than the Kristina Stahl? If so, indicate the source and how much are you requesting.