In its 2015-16 report, Colby’s Presidential Task Force on Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity points out that, while the College has considerable information about the demographics of its student, faculty, and staff community, it lacks formal data/assessment about the experiences of our diverse community members once they arrive on campus.
Hence, the Task Force recommends that the College conduct an in-depth campus climate survey to establish a fuller and more complex assessment of the experiences of all members of the community.
According to the Task Force report, the results of such a study are one important tool that will help us understand the ways our policies, procedures, and practices can more effectively support our efforts to create a meaningful inclusive and equitable community.
Acting on the Task Force recommendation, the Dean of the College is leading efforts to develop and conduct a climate survey for Colby in the Spring of 2017.
During the Fall semester, the Dean of the College office in partnership with the Provost’s office hosted 27 forums across campus. From those sessions, we gathered feedback to the Task Force report and suggestions for the climate survey from the Colby community.
It is in the context of strong community support for a comprehensive climate survey that the Dean of the College has convened the Climate Survey Working Committee, whose broad charge is to help shape both the survey and the plan for implementation.
In addition, the Working Committee will work with Micere Keels, Associate Professor of Comparative Human Development at University of Chicago, who has been invited to draft the survey in consultation with the Working Committee.
The Climate Survey Working Committee will also be tasked with:
- Reviewing and assessing community feedback from the multiple forums conducted in the fall
- Identifying areas and issues of high community concern from the feedback
- Identifying and reviewing climate survey models from peer institutions
- Consulting with Micere Keels in drafting questions for the survey
- Offering feedback on an implementation plan for the survey with the aim of garnering a high participation rate
- Assisting to identify and prioritize specific survey questions that will be presented in a preliminary report
- Offering constructive feedback on a draft of the preliminary report
- Offering constructive feedback on final report