All students may seek a campus job. That said, a priority of Student Financial Services is to assist Federal Work-Study students and International Work students to obtain the necessary hours to meet their financial aid earnings award. First-year Federal Work-Study students and International Work students who want to work are encouraged to access our website and begin the search and application process with any department for a job that interests them. Once the student has been offered employment they will be expected to report to their supervisor once they return from their COOT in September. If students choose not to remain in the position in which they were initially offered work, they should notify their supervisor as soon as possible. Returning Federal Work-Study students and International Work students receive a reminder in May to remind them to review their employment status or consider seeking another position for the fall.

Student Employment maintains a “Student Job Openings” web page which students may view to see what jobs are currently open.  Employers may advertise their openings from the Student Employment web page by clicking on the “Advertise an Opening” link from the “Supervisor” page. Student Employment also maintains a Student Job Book (detailing all student jobs on campus) that is available for viewing at the Office of Financial Services and from the Student Employment web page.  Occasionally, departments may also directly post job opportunities on the Colby Now general announcements with contact information.

The number of jobs a student may work is normally limited to two, which should allow enough hours to meet the student’s aid award. Depending on the availability of positions throughout the year, those who are working more than 9-12 hours per week may be asked to reduce their hours to allow another student the opportunity to work. Occasionally if we experience a limited number of available jobs, we may need to limit a student to only one job. In the case of Community Advisors, the nature of their job and remuneration are such that they are not allowed to hold a second job unless they are pre-approved by the Associate Dean for Residential Life.


The College relies on student workers in all facets of operation and expects a conscientious attempt on the student’s part to be a good employee. Student workers are expected to be dependable, prompt, responsible and honest. Campus employment is, after all, optional. Students need to balance their academic and extracurricular activities with their work assignment. Illness, examinations, participation in athletics or an off-campus Jan Plan does not necessarily excuse a student from work. Departments maintain different policies and practices so employees and employers should agree on the ground rules upon hiring. Student Employment is available to assist students who have questions or concerns about their particular job(s). We also support employers who have issues with unsatisfactory employee performance.



Students offered a position must complete the I-9 with Student Financial Services prior to working.  Per federal law, a completed I-9 is required to work.  All documents presented must be unexpired originals, photocopies, digital images of documents, or expired documents cannot be accepted.

Some commonly used documents for completing the I-9 Include:

A valid U.S. Passport
A valid State Driver’s license or State ID or Colby ID card AND an official (raised seal) copy of your birth certificate or your original signed Social Security Card.
More information regarding the I-9 and acceptable documents, including acceptable documents for international students, can be found here: USCIS Form I-9 Acceptable Documents
Once hired, a student employee can enter their tax withholding elections electronically in Workday.

All student time entry for the academic year is done online using Workday. The College has adopted direct deposit as its method of paying wages; pay will be deposited on Thursday morning after the end of the pay period. Direct deposit is safe, secure, and convenient. If direct deposit information is not entered in Workday, paper checks will be mailed to student mailboxes, but may not be delivered on payday due to mail processing time.

It is the responsibility of both the student and the employer to submit the required information in a timely fashion. By entering time on the web both the student and the supervisor attest to the accuracy of the hours worked. Any falsification of information on the student’s part could result in disciplinary action, such as referral to the Dean of Students or the Student Judicial Board.


If you have questions regarding Payroll or time entry please contact the Payroll Office at If you have questions regarding student pay rates, hiring student workers, the Student Job Book, or job postings, please contact Kevin Adair (ext. 4131, in Student Employment. Student Employment and Student Financial Services are located on the first floor of Garrison-Foster.