Director: Marina Davies
On-campus representative: Professor Audrey Brunetaux
Course code: FR239j
Cost of Jan Plan (including round-trip flight from Boston to Paris, based on enrollment of 12 students and subject to change): approximately $3000
- This is a zero sum budget. Should there be substantial money left in the account after the Jan Plan is over, this money will be refunded in equal parts to participating students.
- This fee covers transportation to and from the Paris airport, an unlimited monthly transportation pass, room & board in a foyer, including breakfast & your choice of lunch or dinner, and required class outings. The fee specifically does not cover: course books (which will be available for purchase at the Colby bookstore in December), supplies, any personal travel, and one meal a day. The amount you spend in addition to the Jan Plan fee will vary, depending on where you eat lunch, how much traveling you do on the weekends, etc.
- All students are expected to take the group flight on Saturday, January 6, unless they ask in writing to be exempt, explain why they consider this exemption necessary, and let Professor Davies know of their alternate travel plans.
Students who have successfully completed FR128, FR131, or the equivalent are eligible to take this course. Maximum enrollment is set at 16 students. Priority enrollment for FR239 will be granted to students who demonstrate a significant interest in French studies, and students who have not yet studied abroad.
Jan Plan Schedule
- Saturday, January 6, 2018: Departure from Boston
- January 7, 2018: Arrival in Paris
- January 8, 2018: Class begins
- January 30, 2018: Final class
- January 30, 2018: Class dinner
- January 31, 2018: Return to Boston
Classes will be held Monday-Friday mornings in one of the foyer classrooms. We will also go on walking tours certain afternoons.
- Daily participation
- Weekly responses
- Student-led walking tour
- Final essay
Given the intensive nature of this course and the short length of the January term, there will be no absences allowed, except for serious illness. To be eligible to apply to this Jan Plan, you must be able to arrive in Paris in time for the first class and only leave Paris after the final exam; there are no exceptions.
Foyer, Meals, and Activities
The recently remodeled FIAP foyer has double rooms, each with two desks, two closets, and a private bathroom. It is staffed 24 hours a day. The foyer has wireless Internet access. Students receive fresh towel and linen service and can use an on-site laundry room, for which tokens can be purchased in the lobby; therefore, there is no need to pack a month’s worth of clothes.
Students receive a buffet-style Continental breakfast in the dining room. Board includes either lunch or dinner at the foyer, which can accommodate certain dietary restrictions, including vegetarianism.
All students will receive an unlimited public transportation pass for the month of January. You should be able to explore Paris on a daily basis. In addition to our walking tours, we will go on several group outings (including a boat tour and a day trip to Versailles). Professor Davies will also suggest some sights upon your arrival. You are also encouraged to ask her for recommendations that are in line with your personal interests.
During the weekends, students have the choice of staying in Paris or traveling in France or to nearby European countries. You must however attend all Friday and Monday classes. Bargain seekers should consider choosing a destination at the last minute.
- To enroll in this Jan Plan you should:
1) Be eligible for FR239
2) Submit the 2-page application form to Ms. Wood by Monday, October 2, 2017.
- You will receive an e-mail message on the status of your candidacy by Thursday, October 5.
- Once accepted, you are required to submit a deposit of $500 to Student Financial Services by Tuesday, October 17. You will not be enrolled in the course until this deposit is received. This deposit, applied to the enrollment fee, is not refundable if you decide at a later date to drop out of the Jan Plan.
- If you are not accepted to this Jan Plan, you will be able to enroll in another Jan Plan during the normal course selection time.
- If you are accepted to this Jan Plan, you must respect all the document deadlines (see the application file). All documents must be submitted in hard copy to Ms. Wood.
- If the Jan Plan is cancelled for any reason, full refund will be made of any deposits or fees paid.
- There will be two French department scholarships offered for this Jan Plan, both in the amount of $1000. Details on applying for these scholarships will be sent to enrolled students after the October 17 deposit deadline.
- There is no Colby Grant available for Off Campus Jan Plans.
- Click here for the link to a blog post honoring the memory of Shareen Abbasy in whose name the Department created the JanPlan Abbasy scholarship. Jacob David was the recipient in 2018.
Applications will be due by 8:00 AM on Monday, October 2, 2017. Funding decisions will be communicated soon thereafter.
Abbasy Scholarship Recipients
|Jacob David: 2018|
|Melissa Jean: 2017
|Matt DiAngelo: 2016|
|Jenny Qiu: 2015|
|Ibraheem Baqai: 2014|
|Mary Kate Fitzpatrick: 2013|
|Michael Perreault: 2011|