Letter from the Director

Like the passage of Maine seasons, the end of semesters gives us a chance to look back and plan forward. With several large-scale events, Spring 2018 was busy in the Goldfarb Center. The Goldfarb Center was pleased to co-host with the Pugh board the visit of #MeToo founder TaranaBurke. To an overflowing crowd in Cotter Union, Ms. Burke captivated the audience by recounting her journey from the founder of a small NGO to prominence on the national stage. I was particularly struck by her empathy and generosity of time with our students.  As I waited to drive her back to the hotel, she took photos with and hugged scores of students. After a long night, I commented on her kindness; she shared that it felt irresponsible to open feelings of vulnerability and pain-and not be present as a person takes the first steps to heal from sexual violence.  It became instantly clear how this woman who has graced the red carpet at the Oscars and the top lists of powerful women including Time magazine has done it:  she connects to people with an open heart.
We were honored to welcome Kristalina Georgieva, the first (and current) CEO of the World Bank as our Mitchell lecturer this May.  Dr. Georgieva’s presentation captured the transformative changes in the World Bank as a partner in creating opportunities for marginalized communities around the world.  Her personal journey as a Bulgarian growing up behind the iron curtain to an economist, Commissioner in the European Union and later World Bank executive is a testimony to the radical changes in our global structure over the past fifty years.  Dr. Georgieva challenged our students to think creatively about contributions to development in poorer countries.

Our bi-annual Morton A. Brody Award honored Anita Brody-no relation-whose most influential rulings include the recent settlements and ongoing litigation surrounding the NFL concussion case.  In conjunction with this award, the Goldfarb Center hosted a panel on how the law responds to changes in science. We were delighted to hear from Judge Nancy Gertner (now retired from the bench and on the Harvard faculty) and University of Pennsylvania Professor of Law Stephen Morse on the ways that advances in science and big data create opportunities along with limitations on legal deliberations.  It became clear that science is changing faster than the law; most interesting to me is the clash between the potential, but still infant, brain science and the need for exacting conclusions in the law.

On the legal front, we were pleased that young alumni attending Boston College were able to join in the day and talk to current students about legal careers.  We hope that in the future more young alums will join us for the Brody award; please let us know if you would like to be included on the Brody invitation list.  Judge Morton Brody believed strongly in mentorship; we hope to continue this tradition through the Goldfarb Center.

We welcome connecting parents and alumni to students on Mayflower Hill.  One format we enjoyed this spring is a small dinner with students, sometimes followed by a lecture.  We were pleased to hear from Dr. Jaime Jaramillo (formerly of the IMF, now a consultant), parent of Paula ’20, on the macroeconomics of climate change.  We also were delighted to have BriAnne Illich ’14, Clerk for the US District Court of New Mexico, return to talk about legal pathways as well as her interest in immigration law.  We find that current students benefit enormously from these opportunities to engage in dinner conversation with practitioners, giving students intellectual confidence outside the classroom and highlighting career pathways. Please be in touch if you work in an area of public affairs that may be of interest to current students!

In looking forward, please mark your calendars for October 8th for the annual Lovejoy convocation.  In addition to regular programming for next year, Goldfarb Associate Faculty Director Adam Howard and I will be working on leadership development with our Student Engagement Board.  We are very open to suggestions from the Colby Community for speakers-either in large lecture format or dinners or smaller workshops-on developing leadership skills for work in public affairs.  We are also at work planning our facilitated internships for January, along with our H2H Mayflower Hill to Capitol Hill trek for students to deepen their understanding of the policy process in DC.  If you might host a Jan Plan intern, become a young alumni mentor, or open your office to an H2H group visit Thursday, January 31or February 1, we would love to hear from you.

If you are able to contribute to the on-campus or DC programming for 2018-2019, please drop me an email at pmfranko@colby.edu . And if this isn’t the right time for you to help, I’d still love to hear what you are doing. One of the great pleasures of my role directing the Goldfarb Center is to be in contact with parents and alums as part of our wider Colby family.  As we often say at graduation, Colby isn’t a four-year interlude but a relationship throughout your life. As faculty, it is enormously gratifying to see the contributions our former students are making in the world. At a time when policy and politics are in national and global turmoil, this focus on the positive impact our grads have as change agents keep me optimistic about all our futures!

Best regards,

Patrice Franko
Director, Goldfarb Center for Public Affairs
Grossman Professor of Economics and Global Studies

JanPlan

Welcome to our New Assistant Director, Sherry Berard!

Greetings readers!

I am pleased to introduce myself as the new Assistant Director to the Goldfarb Center for Public Affairs at Colby College. I started on June 1st of this year.

I have worked at Colby for 19 years first in the Student Financial Services Department as a tech as well as in the Miller Library as the Administrative Assistant to the History Department, American Studies program, Cinema Studies program, Jewish Studies program, Integrated Studies program, and Women’s, Gender and Sexuality program.

I earned a B.A. from the University of Maine at Augusta and an M.B.A. from Thomas College. Both my husband and I were born and raised in the Waterville, Winslow area. We have been married for 30 years and have two wonderful boys, Adam,28, who resides in New York, and Alex,21, who will be finishing up his education this upcoming fall at Thomas College.

I look forward to collaborating on events for the upcoming year and getting to meet with more students and faculty.

If you would like to contact me I can be reached at saberard@colby.edu or 207-859-5319.

Meet our students co-chairs for the Goldfarb Engagement Board:

Emily Davis
My name is Emily Davis and I am a rising senior, originally from Sudbury, Massachusetts. At Colby, I am a Government and Economics double major with a concentration in Financial Markets. I play on the Varsity Women’s Basketball team on campus and am involved in Colby Cares About Kids as a student mentor to a second grader. Some of my key interests include travel and photography, and I am an avid New England Patriots fan. After graduation, I hope to work in investment banking in New York City. I am really looking forward to this year and can’t wait to get back on campus in the fall!

Rachel (Ray) Ryan
My name is Rachel (Ray), Ryan. I’m from Orange Beach, Alabama and am an Economics and Global Studies double major with a Chinese minor. At Colby, I am on the Global Studies Board, Women in Economics at Colby, and a tutor for the Economics department. This summer I am interning at Telemus Group in Washington DC where I am focusing on national defense strategies. I am interested in international politics, finance, and policy issues such as health care reform, prison reform, and climate change (among others). After Colby, I plan on going to law school and working in corporate law.

Brody Award: Science and the Law

Before a large audience in Ostrove Auditorium on Sunday April 22nd, Judge Anita B. Brody (no relation to Morton A. Brody) was commended with the Morton A. Brody Distinguished Judicial Service Award, a high honor of Colby Colby, for her outstanding work in the judiciary as well as her exemplary qualities, many of which she shares with the late Mort Brody, the namesake of the award.

The exciting evening began with a panel discussion entitled “How the Law Responds to Changes in Science.” This panel featuring Judge Nancy Gertner and Professor Stephen J. Morse provided differing perspectives on how new developments in neuroscience should be integrated into the courtroom, especially in the realm of sentencing.

After a brief reception, the ceremony opened with a video honoring the late Judge Brody. With an audience of family, friends, and community members, the ceremony was a true celebration of Mort Brody’s life and accomplishments, as well as his enduring legacy.  After the award was bestowed to Judge Anita Brody, she shared a compelling address with the crowd. Outlining her career and explaining the challenges that she faced throughout it, Judge Brody ended the evening answering questions about her judicial philosophy and current rulings, enlightening the crowd to the thought processes of a federal judge.

JanPlan

Founder of #MeToo Tarana Burke Captivates Cotter Union

The Goldfarb Center partnered with the Pugh Community Board to welcome prominent civil rights activist and creator of the #MeToo movement, Tarana Burke, to Mayflower Hill. With more than 800 Colby students in attendance, she spoke about her work to empower survivors of sexual violence and break our cultural silence on the issue.

Mitchell International Lecture:  Daring to Address Poverty

On Sunday, May 6th, Kristalina Georgieva, the CEO of the World Bank, gave the annual George J. Mitchell International Lecture. In front of an audience full of Colby students, faculty, and members of the community, Doctor Georgieva presented on The Role of the World Bank: Why We Dare to Confront Global Challenges.

During this lecture, Doctor Georgieva shared insights on how her career has evolved, as well as current conversations occurring on a global scale, in particular regarding situations in countries such as Senegal and Zimbabwe.

The audience then had the opportunity to have questions regarding the World Bank and its work answered by Doctor Georgieva.

Doctor Georgieva is the first CEO of the World Bank, and is the 2010 “European of the Year”. She has had great success in reducing rates of global poverty and is especially known for her work in both Haiti and Pakistan. She is from Sofia, Bulgaria, and has earned degrees from both the London School of Economics as well as Harvard Business School.

Watch the full video of the event

Sandy Maisel Research Awards

During the 2017-2018 academic year, I completed a Senior Scholars project at Colby College, thanks in part to the generous funding of the Sandy Maisel Student Research Grant. My project was two-part: first, I facilitated a 9-month Participatory Action Research (PAR) project with local high school students; second, I analyzed the process of PAR through a lens of feminist and queer theory. The project ultimately produced a written theoretical analysis, a curriculum for practitioners of Youth PAR, and a program at a local high school that will sustain PAR projects beyond my graduation.

The Sandy Maisel Student Research Grant funded my attendance at the Critical PAR Institute at the City University of New York this past January. This week-long intensive, facilitated by the most prominent scholar-activists in the practice of PAR, was absolutely critical both in the success of our high school research group and in my analysis of PAR. The institute was an opportunity to workshop attendees’ individual projects, learn from experienced researchers, and engage in critical discussions of community research — both its process and impact.

I am very grateful for the opportunity to pursue a project with passion and deep community roots. Many thanks to the donors and administrators who made the Sandy Maisel Student Research Grant possible.

Marlen Guerrero: Hurricane Harvey and Houston Migration

I used the Sandy Maisel Student Research Grant to investigate the effects of Hurricane Harvey on  undocumented immigrants asking how the experience of Hurricane Harvey influences undocumented immigrants’ plan to migrate out of Houston, Texas;  I also investigated
the role of SB4 (a Texas law that compels local governments and law enforcement agencies to do the work of federal immigration officers) in shaping outmigration plans in the wake of Hurricane Harvey.

Houston is the largest city in Texas and is the fourth most populous city in the United States; it is a large immigration hub due to its proximity to the Mexico-United States border presenting job opportunities for immigrants from construction to teachers to medical professionals.
Houston has one of the highest rates of non-citizens in the nation. This is a staggering fact considering that nation-wide,  25% of all foreign-born immigrants are undocumented. Houston also has a high number of TPS recipients from El Salvador and Honduras. Unfortunately, undocumented immigrants tend to have low rates of formal education, low rates of English proficiency, and high rates of poverty. This leaves many in an even more precarious situation as undocumented immigrants cannot apply for federal aid in the face of natural disaster.

Conducting this research gave me a better understanding of the undocumented community, the general immigrant community, and the Latinx community as a whole. This ultimately aided me in getting a job that involves connecting low-income Latin, immigrant, and black communities to home repair services to repair damages caused by Hurricane Harvey.

Summer Sandy Maisel Fellows
This summer we have Sandy Maisel interns in Washington (at the conference on Asian Pacific Leadership, Rep. Joseph Crawley’s office, and Rep. Tom Reed’s office), Augusta (Senator King’s office),   and the UN in Kenya. Stay tuned in the fall for their stories. If you are in DC, the Goldfarb Center is partnering with Davis Connects to host a networking welcome for these interns and newly arrived Alums in the DC area at the end of July. Check back shortly to the Goldfarb website for updates!