CER Frequently Asked Questions

LifeFlight of Maine does a fly by of Miller Library during the Second Annual Greater Maine Collegiate EMS Conference after landing on the quad!

What number do I call for CER?

To reach CER in an emergency dial the emergency security number:
207-859-5911. Be prepared to say where you are and give a brief description of why you are calling.

Does Security come when I call CER?

CER is dispatched by Colby Security and works closely with their Officers. Security officers respond simultaneously with CER and are always available to assist on scene. Security serves as an extra set of hands as needed and are on-scene to assure scene safety for CER, the patient and bystanders. Due to high call volume on the weekends, Rescue-1s ride with security in the security vehicle from 23:00-2:00 to ensure the fastest response time possible.

What kinds of calls does CER typically receive?

CER responds to a wide variety of calls including difficulty breathing, syncopal episodes, falls with injury, and allergic reactions, diabetic emergencies and intoxication – to name a few.

How do I join CER?

To join CER you must be a certified EMT-B (or higher) in the state of Maine. If you are not already a certified EMT but would like to join CER, you can become an EMT in the EMT class offered during Jan Plan or we can help you find another EMT class off-campus during the summer or the semester. Once you obtain your EMT certification contact Katherine Kibler (katherine.kibler@colby.edu), our Deputy Chief of Personnel and Training, to set up a time for orientation. At orientation you will be given a uniform shirt, and it will be decided then when you will start running shifts with CER. Once you are a member of CER, you will also then be expected to come to Friday trainings (Fridays every week from 16:00-18:00) and continuing education classes (once a month usually from 19:00-21:00, though times vary).

What qualifications do I need to be on CER?

  • Maine EMT-B License
  • AHA CPR Certification
  • Proof of Hepatitis-B Vaccination
  • Blood Borne Pathogens Course (taken online once you join CER)

What are the requirements for members of CER?

  • Sign up for at least one weekday shift and one weekend shift a month (Note: Just because you sign up for those two shifts doesn’t mean that you will get them both. Most Rescue-2’s work 1-2 shifts a month and not all Rescue-2’s get a weekend shift every month).
  • Attend at least one Friday training a month (Friday afternoons in the Health Center from 16:00-18:00).
  • Attend monthly continuing education classes.

What are the shifts that the EMTs on CER run?

CER is a 24/7 service. Shifts are 24 hours long (19:00-19:00). So if you were on duty on Friday your shift would start Friday at 19:00 and would end on Saturday at 19:00.

How many EMTs are on duty per shift?

Typically there are two EMTs on duty, a Rescue-1 and a Rescue-2. For special events such as concerts there may be extra rescuers on duty. There must be a Rescue-1 on duty for CER to be in service.

What is the difference between a Rescue-1 and a Rescue-2?

The Rescue-One serves as the more senior and experienced member on duty. He or she is responsible for directing other members on scene and ensuring all protocols are properly followed. He or she also makes final treatment and transport decisions on a call, unless otherwise stated by Security, Delta, or another individual/service with a higher certification of care. The Rescue-One must ensure the crew provides quality care and makes decisions that are based on sound medical findings. He or she is responsible for documentation of all events in a call, as well as and for submitting all run reports to the Medical Director within twenty-four hours following a shift.

The Rescue-Two works alongside the Rescue-One and assesses and/or treats every patient with care that meets all Maine EMS and CER protocols. He or she is held to the same standards as a Rescue-One, but is not responsible for making transport decisions. The Rescue-Two is typically the more junior member, yet have the same level of certification as the Rescue-One.

Are members of CER required to go to trainings?

CER members are required to attend a minimum of one Friday training per month, but are encouraged to come to as many trainings as they can. Members are also required to attend the monthly continuing education class.

What do you do while you're on duty?

The EMTs on duty go about their normal day and just carry a bag of equipment and a radio with them. If they get a call, they respond by foot from wherever they may be on campus. If an EMT gets a call during class, they are allowed to leave class to respond to the call. EMTs can be wherever they want while they are on duty as long as they remain on campus. Due to high call volume on Friday and Saturday nights, the Rescue-1 rides along with security from 23:00-2:00 to ensure faster response time.

Since CER is a non-transport service, how does CER transport patients when needed?

CER has a few transport options despite the fact that we are a non-transport service.  In some cases CER can escort patients via Colby College Security. If it is deemed necessary patient’s can be transported to the appropriate medical facility via Delta Ambulance if the situation warrants transfer of patient care to a higher level of service.

Do CER members get paid?

No, CER is a volunteer based EMS service so members are not paid for the shifts that they work.

What do I need to do to become an EMT?

In order to become an EMT-B you must take an EMT-B course and take the national registry exam to obtain an EMT-B certification. Colby College offers an Emergency Medical Technician class during Jan Plan in which you receive all of the training necessary to take both the practical and written exams necessary to obtain your license. EMT-B classes are also offered as semester long courses and summer programs, including courses at Kennebec Valley Community College, however it is slightly more challenging to take a semester long EMT course with a full course load at Colby.

Once you take the EMT-B class you must take a practical exam. If you pass the practical exam you then must sit for a written exam. If you pass both of these exams you will be a Nationally Registered EMT. With your NREMT license you will then need to apply for a state license. Applying for a state license often involves a background check and driving record check, however this is state dependent, so be sure to check your state’s EMS website to see exactly what you need to do.

I am already an EMT but don't have a Maine license. How do I get a Maine EMT license?

If you already have an EMT-B license in another state you will need to apply for reciprocity in Maine.

Can I come to CER trainings if I am not a member?

Of course! If you are not yet an EMT but are in the process of becoming an EMT or are trying to decide if you want to be an EMT you are more than welcome to stop by Friday trainings and/or our continuing education classes to see what CER and EMS are all about.

Friday Training and Continuing Education

Friday afternoons from 16:00-18:00 training is held in the Garrison-Foster Health Center. At trainings we simulate scenarios and work on practical skills to keep our skills and knowledge up-to-date and ensure that we are providing the best possible patient care on-scene. CER members are required to attend a minimum of one training per month, but are encouraged to attend as many trainings as possible.

Continuing education classes are held approximately once a month at Colby and are absolutely mandatory for all CER members. Continuing educations classes are usually taught by an outside paramedic and cover a wide range of skill sets and specialized topics within EMS (e.g. ALS assists, pediatric emergencies, efficient CPR, water rescues, etc.). These continuing education opportunities count toward the continuing education credits needed to maintain your Maine EMS license.


All information regarding CER calls and patient information is kept completely confidential. As Emergency Medical Technicians, all members of Colby Emergency Response are expected to know and abide by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) privacy rules and regulations. Any specific inquiries regarding CER operations or patients are to be referred to the Chief of Service. Information pertinent to CER is to be treated confidentially and should not be shared to private citizens, news media, Security Officers, Deans and/or other Colby employees, students, or any other individual not actively involved with the situation. This includes information about runs and forms, patients, investigations, personnel and operations. Any information regarding patients may never be shared with anyone other than emergency personnel immediately involved in that patient’s care. This includes but is not limited to a patient’s name and/or medical condition as well as the overall nature and/or details of the call. Each member is required to sign an oath of confidentiality.


Find us on Facebook