Regular Meetings with Advisors
Students are asked to review progress in their independent major each semester with their advisors. This review is necessary because irregularly scheduled courses can impede a student’s completion of the major. Faculty advisors should contact the Independent Major Committee if they have concerns about the student’s progress or if the direction of the proposed major has evolved sufficiently that they no longer feel comfortable advising the student in the major.

Registering for Courses
Students should be aware that course rules generally do not prioritize independent majors. It is therefore the student’s responsibility to contact course instructors pro-actively to respectfully request admission to courses required for the major. We recommend including an explanation of why the course is essential to the major.

Course Change Requests
Students pursuing independent majors should keep in touch with the committee, which must be notified about any changes in their program; course or scheduling changes, or a change of advisor, must be approved by the committee. Please submit the Course Change Request Form to

Junior Year Report
To ensure that the capstone experience truly reflects the goals of the major and to provide students with an opportunity to re-articulate what they are gaining from their major, students will be required to send an update to the committee during the spring of their junior year. A form and revised narrative are due April 15th.

Colby Liberal Arts Symposium
Independent majors are expected to present their capstone projects at CLAS. The committee will organize a special session for these presentations. Students are not required to present at this session if there is a more appropriate session.

Distinction in Major
Independent majors may receive a distinction in their major upon graduating if they have a GPA of 3.7 or higher in the major and an overall GPA of at least 3.5.

Students in good standing (with a grade point average of at least 3.50 overall and 3.70 in the major) may elect to pursue Honors in their independent major.