The following instructions will guide you through configuring a profile for the ‘Colby Access’ wireless network in the Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows Vista operating system. Even though there are several steps listed here, once completed and the ‘Colby Access’ profile is saved on the computer, you will not need to use them again as the settings will be stored for future use.
- Open the Network and Sharing center from the Control Panel (Start button > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center)
- From the left-hand list in the Network and Sharing Center window, select Manage Wireless Networks. Near the top left of the Manage Wireless Networks window, click Add to add a new profile
- Select Manually create a network profile (see below). If you receive a message about the profile already existing, select the profile from the list and click Remove from the menu at the top—this will allow you to create a new profile for the network
- In the next window, enter/select the following values, as displayed in the screenshot below:
- Network Name: Colby Access
- Security Type: WPA2-Enterprise
- Encryption Type: AES
- Leave both dialog boxes unchecked
- After clicking Next you will be returned to the Manage Wireless Networks screen. Right-click the ‘Colby Access’ wireless network and select Properties
- Ensure that the settings in the connection tab of the profile are displayed as shown below—note that if you use this connection often, you may wish to check the ‘connect automatically’ dialog box
- In the Protected EAP Properties window, configure the settings as follows and as shown below:
- Uncheck Validate server certificate
- Check Enable fast reconnect
- Uncheck all other boxes
- Click on the Configure button next to the Authentication Method menu (shown circled in red in the screenshot above). Ensure that the checkbox for Automatically use my Windows logon name is unchecked, as shown below:
- Click OK in the EAP MSCHAPv2 Properties window, click OK again in the Protected EAP Properties window, and click OK once more in the last Network Properties window to complete the configuration process
- Your profile can now be used to connect to the Colby Access Wireless network. Upon first connection, you will be prompted for your Colby username and password in a dialog box like the one shown below. After entering your credentials, you will be connected to the Colby Access Wireless network.
If you experience problems, contact the ITS Support Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 4222.