Colby’s ITS department is committed to green computing on campus. We currently setup computers to use power saving schemes, encourage duplex printing, and recycle as appropriate. Power saving schemes can be changed so we encourage people review our recommendations below.
Power Saving Tips
- Monitors are the main source of power consumption in a computer system—turn them off when not in use
- Shut down the computer when you leave for the night—a daily shut down and restart of the computer will not hurt it
- Avoid using a screen saver
- Allow your computer to turn off its display or go into sleep mode when it is not in use.
- For Windows Users:
- Use Power Scheme settings to automate power saving settings
- We recommend not enabling Hibernate due to problems waking from hibernation
- For Macintosh Users:
- Use Energy Saver settings to automate power saving settings
- We recommend not setting the computer or hard disk to sleep
- Print double-sided whenever possible—Duplex Printing
- Instead of printing a document, create a PDF—Create a PDF
Laptop Battery Tips
- Maximizing the life of the laptop battery—Windows Users / Macintosh Users
Recycle Printer Cartridges
- Each department is responsible for properly disposing used cartridges
- Cartridges should be put back in their original packing and taken to the basement of Eustis to the recycle room for pickup.
- A 100% recycled paper was selected to be used campus-wide
- Designated recycling depositories are located campus-wide. Paper is collected from them on a regular basis and taken to the Waterville Recycling Center.