Below are the steps for adding a Colby owned black and white printer to any Colby owned Macintosh computer. For this process to work, you’ll need to be connected to the wired network on campus, the “Colby Access” wireless network, or the Colby VPN.
- On the printer itself, find the brightly colored sticker with the printer name. For example, PCSS_L120_1.
- On your computer, click on the Apple menu in the top left corner of your screen and choose “System Preferences”.
- Find the icon for “Printers & Scanners” or “Printers & Faxes” and click on it.
- In the bottom left corner, click on the plus sign (+).
- You should be on the “Default” tab, wait a second or two and the list of available printers will automatically populate.
- All the Colby owned printers will start with “VWPPRN0” or “Printserver1”, but after that is the name of the printer. Locate the printer you want to install and single click on it to select it.
- At the bottom of this window are a few editable fields. Feel free to fill in anything you want for the “Name” and “Location”.
- For the “Use” field, click the drop-down and choose “Select software…”
- In the dialog box that appears, use the search field in the top right corner to search for the model number of the printer you are trying to add. For example “4200” for a Kyocera FS-4200 or “4010 Series” for an HP LaserJet P4014.
- Click “OK” once you have selected the correct printer model.
- Click the “Add” button to add the printer.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Faculty and Staff Support Center via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at ext. 4222.