Below are the steps for adding a Colby owned black and white printer to any non-Colby computer. This includes student owned computers as well as faculty and staff personal computers. For this to work you will need to be connected to the wired network, connected to Colby Access or connected to the VPN. This will not work if you are connected to Colby Guest Access (unless you then connect to the VPN). If you would like to add a printer to a Colby issued computer check out these directions.
- Click on the Apple menu in the top left corner of your screen and choose “System Preferences”.
- Find the icon for “Printers & Scanners” or “Printers & Faxes” and click on it.
- In the bottom left corner, click on the plus sign (+).
- In the “Add” dialog box that appears, right-click (or hold down the Control key and click) in the blank gray area to the right of “Windows”.
- From the menu that appears, choose “Customize Toolbar…”
- Click-and-drag the “Advanced” icon and drop it next to the existing “Windows” icon on the toolbar.
- Click the “Done” button.
- Click on the newly added “Advanced” button. It will take a few seconds to load so be patient.
- After it loads, click on the “Type” drop-down and choose “Windows printer via spoolss”.
- In the “URL” field, ensure that it reads “smb://printserver1.colby.edu/” and then the name of the printer you want to add (for example: smb://printserver1.colby.edu/PCSS_L120_1). You can find the name of the printer on the brightly colored sticker on the printer itself.
- Fill in the “Name” field, this can be anything you want.
- The “Location” field is optional.
- In the “Use” field, click on the “Choose a Driver…” drop-down and select “Select Software…”.
- In the “Printer Software” dialog, use the search in the top right corner to find the model of the printer you are trying to add. The make and model can be found on the printer itself.
NOTE: If you don’t find the printer model in your list, you can download and install the drivers here:
- Once everything is filled in, click the “Add” button.
- Depending on the printer driver you selected, after you click “Add” you may get another dialog asking you to select the optional features of the printer. Select the duplex option and click “OK.
- The first time you print to this printer, you’ll be asked to enter your username and password. Enter your full Colby e-mail address for the username and your Colby e-mail password. If this is your own personal computer, feel free to check the “Remember this password” check box so that it won’t ask you again.
Miller Library Printers
|MILLER_LIBRARY_1||Kyocera TASKalfa 5002i|
|MILLER_COPIER_1||Kyocera TASKalfa 8002i|
|MILLER_LIBRARY_2||Kyocera TASKalfa 5002i|
|MILLER_COPIER_5||Kyocera TASKalfa 8002I|
Bixler Art and Music Library Printer
Olin Science Library Circulation Area