Using Google Takeout to Copy and Transfer your Files
- Sign in to your Colby.edu account and go to google.com/transfer
- Enter the email address of your destination Google account – this is where your files will be copied and saved.
- Select “Get Code”. A code will be sent to your personal account. This code is only active for 24 hours.
- Go to your personal email and copy the verification code to paste into the Takeout Menu.
- From your Colby account, return to the google.com/transfer
- Choose the content you want to copy. You will have the option to copy Google Drive Contents as well as your email. This process can take up to a week to complete, but you will receive an email notification in your personal Gmail account once it’s complete.
Details about Your Copied Files and Email
- All copied messages will be labeled with your Colby account name and the date you started the copy process
- Contacts and tasks will NOT transfer.
- All contents will be copied into a folder labeled with your Colby account name and the date you initiated the process.
- You will become the owner of all the copied files. This does not change ownership of the original files in your Colby account that may be shared.
- Not all shared files copy over – only those that you have “Added to Drive”
- Comments are copied but revision history is not.
- Permission on copied files will be set to “private” but you can change the sharing settings.
- All of your Colby content will remain in your Google Drive so this process can be used to backup Google Drive anytime.