Sample off-campus Jan Plan 2016 courses include
- Art of Fly-Fishing: Maine and Bishop, Calif.—Learn fly-fishing techniques, read environmental literature, and keep a blog while fishing near Mammoth Lakes, Calif.
- Geology of Bermuda—Examine geological processes and how the island has evolved over the last two million years.
- Globalization, Democracy, and Political Transformation in Bolivia—Understand Bolivia’s history, politics, economy, social relations and global connections.
- Language immersion courses—Acquire or polish language skills in Paris, France; Siena, Italy; or St. Petersburg, Russia
- Plants of the Tropics—Visit Costa Rica to study the physiology, ecology, and conservation of plants in both wild and agricultural settings.
- Resettling Refugees and Immigrants in Portland—Gain firsthand experience of public health and education challenges for Maine’s immigrants.
- The Western Front in WWI – Explore key battle sites in Dijon, France, while studying the bloodiest warfare in history.